Rotella T syntetic & Fram Tough Guard Filter impressions

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 2300 miles on her since the change to Synthetic Rotella T and Fram Tough Guard semi synthetic media oil filter.

Very pleased with what I see so far. The engine starts easier, runs quieter and oil pressure comes up faster. The oil is still gold and clear like it was just poured out of the jug (and no I didn't drain the 1-1/2 - 2 quart HPOP resevoir either when I did it). Oil consumption is nil, nada, nothing. Gonna stick with this combination. Oil filter is definatly doing its job well and far better than any I've used before.

This is on an engine that now has 330,000 miles on it and running strong;Sweet .

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
is the rotella syn a full syn oil or a blend. I have seen some blends on the shelf but haven't looked at rotella yet. actually haven't seen it in the stores here. and what's the going rate per quart?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the rotella syn a full syn oil or a blend. I have seen some blends on the shelf but haven't looked at rotella yet. actually haven't seen it in the stores here. and what's the going rate per quart?

IIRC it's actually a "cracked" synthetic but it is called full synthetic. Cost me $16.99 Gallon at Walmart.

4 Gallons + Tough Gaurd Filter and $16 labor and my Walmart oil change came to $99.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
IIRC it's actually a "cracked" synthetic but it is called full synthetic. Cost me $16.99 Gallon at Walmart.

4 Gallons + Tough Gaurd Filter and $16 labor and my Walmart oil change came to $99.

:eek: ....how long you plan on running that....I average about 3k mi a month and change every 5k......

I get the dino Rotella at Sams for $43 =6 gals and about $10 for the FL1995 filter at Wally World...so $53 x4=$212 +2 more filters=$20 so all that =$232 per year ...based on buying 6 gals and using 4 with 2 left over ,then buying another 6 gals and adding the remainder gives me a "free" oil change and just buying the filter only twice a year ....and that is based on mebee 3 qts of make up oil between changes so toss another couple gals in the mix.......screwed up pretzel logic at it's best LOL but even changing oil say 4 times a year with the synth and whatever the cost of the tough guard filter....I'm still ahead cookoo :D

I would have to see a REAL savings if I'm going to be shelling out $100 to fill up AND $100 oil change!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: ....how long you plan on running that....I average about 3k mi a month and change every 5k......

I get the dino Rotella at Sams for $43 =6 gals and about $10 for the FL1995 filter at Wally World...so $53 x4=$212 +2 more filters=$20 so all that =$232 per year ...based on buying 6 gals and using 4 with 2 left over ,then buying another 6 gals and adding the remainder gives me a "free" oil change and just buying the filter only twice a year ....and that is based on mebee 3 qts of make up oil between changes so toss another couple gals in the mix.......screwed up pretzel logic at it's best LOL but even changing oil say 4 times a year with the synth and whatever the cost of the tough guard filter....I'm still ahead cookoo :D

I would have to see a REAL savings if I'm going to be shelling out $100 to fill up AND $100 oil change!

Not doing it to save money on oil, did it originally to see how much better it would start and going to continue it to save money on engine parts and see how long the PSD will actually go before needing an overhaul or the next set of injectors.

Now I'm really curious how long I can keep this oil looking this clean. When I had the Dino in after you helped me with the front cover and oil pan that engine was cleaned out inside with very little residual oil in it and it was pitch black within 500 miles and a Motocraft filter.

Prolly change the filter at 3 - 4k and pull a sample, top it off and see what happens. Rule of thumb I used back when trailer trucking when I was extending drain intervals was to drop it when the engine started using it. As many miles as you travel daily on the interstate you could possibly get by with longer intervals than 5k on Dino........

Then again mabey not considering everytime I catch you on the cell when you're rolling you're either doing 85 :peelout or stuck in traffic-cuss .....;Poke

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I currently use AMSOIL with the bypass filter system - I am running my out to 25k between changes with a full flow filter change at 12.5k. I'd have to check to see what I pay per 2.5 gallon jugs. I do believe that AMSOIL is a "cracked" oil as well.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently use AMSOIL with the bypass filter system - I am running my out to 25k between changes with a full flow filter change at 12.5k. I'd have to check to see what I pay per 2.5 gallon jugs. I do believe that AMSOIL is a "cracked" oil as well.

:eek: I'd take me 2 years to run 25k these days. I'm running only about 200 miles a week. Biggest push on miles for me is usually a 1 week push to see my folks, then I put 3 - 5k on that 1 week.

I think the biggest thing to watch on the PSD with these HEUI injectors would be the anti foaming agents if you run extended oil changes.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm turning 125miles a day for work but I only work 7 out of 14.... I'm a part time employee as I call it... So for me 25k comes a lot quicker.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Then again mabey not considering everytime I catch you on the cell when you're rolling you're either doing 85 or stuck in traffic .....

;p :D LOL

I'd be curious about the foaming with extended oil drains....these HEUI systems are not tolerant, besides the fact before I would consider it, all my inj are orig with 267k mi and I'm sure the soleniods and poppetts etc...have a lil' wear :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy the anti foaming agent. Fleetrite CH1824392 $3 - $4.....Available at Navistar dealers. Most should have it in stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online