Road Draft Tube Question

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok i'm getting the 6.9 together and will probably be doing this, i have the blocker for where the CDR goes in the valley pan. what do u guys do to block the hole on the intake. and where are you connecting a hose to for the crankcase vent? oh and should i use a filter or is air only going out???

thanks,
-Jon

Last edited:

tractorman86

Reaction score
i just used a 4" long 3/4" pipe nipple and a street elbow with a 1"hose stuffed on the end. then i took a piece of 1/2" steel 1 1/2" wide by like 4"long and used a piece of conveyer rubber, drilled the two mounting holes and bolted it down to block the hole

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 1" rubber plug that expands when you turn the bolt at autozone that fit perfectly.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i was considering plumbing a rdt into my exhaust post turbo as up here there are too many nosey looky loo's and when i had a draft tube installed on my truck before every where i pulled in and left the truck running i had someone point out the fact that i had a puff of smoke coming out the bottom of my engine compartment. i understand they meane well but being it is not permitted i do not need everyone pointing it out to me.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I just found a piece of hose that slid tight into the metal tube into the block. For the intake block-off its a bit fancy, cut the old CDR in half and tig welded another piece of metal to fill the hole.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I got a 1" rubber plug that expands when you turn the bolt at autozone that fit perfectly.

ooohh expandable freezeplug eh? good idea.

also like your idea hyde! LOL

any pictures on where you put the RDT hose? i'm a bit unclear on it....:confused:

thanks!
-Jon

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Best I can do with a cell phone, I forgot to grab one of the blockoff:D

Attachments

• rdt.jpg
    rdt.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 72
  • rdt2.jpg
    rdt2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 42

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
that's in the valleypan? :confused: i have a blockoff plug for that, i thought mabe there was a way to get one on the oil fill tube.....

Thanks,
-Jon

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
what is the benifit of a rdt?

basically so that you don't run crankcase gasses (which is laden with oil vapor) back into the engine. What happens is that because the oil vapor is present it seems to get pulled back to the last two cylinders causing them to run hotter than the rest.

A RDT (Road Draft Tube) is nothing more than a hose that routes the vapors from the crankcase down beside the engine to the outside air. I ran one on The Enterprise and my Cummins has one stock from the factory. The only reason the CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) was installed on the IDI's was because of EPA regulations. The IDI's run such high compression ratios that combustion gases get squeezed past the rings, so because of that the engineers came up with the CDR fix to deal with it.

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres some pics I just took for you of what i made. works well

vbpgimage.php
vbpgimage.php
vbpgimage.php

you can see me in the last pic I know, luckly I wasent naked.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
haha...yeah good thing! LOL i have the older style with the steel fill tube there. do i need to run a big hose or can like 3/8-1/2 inch work? i was thinking of welding in a heater hose connector and running a hose off it.

thanks,
-Jon

tractorman86

Reaction score
no you don't want to put it there since you have the old style oil fill. think about it when you go to put oil in there it will just run all over the floor via the RDT and you will need something like 1" 3/8 or1/2 is way too small

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok back to the RDT hose. wheres the best place to put the hose? is there anyway to put one in the filler cap? i tried one of those cheap chrome ones but it was only 5/8",

-Jon

groove

Reaction score
Hey guys, is it better to vent from the oil filler neck or the back of the valley pan where the CDR is attached. Any difference?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Why not run it to the base of the air cleaner on the inside that will prevent the 2 rear cylinders sucking it all in and will be spread out over all of the cylinders

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online