RIOT's Engine Re-seal 110

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam ordered

Turbo getting worked on.

Looks like few other odds and ends getting taken care of too.

My truck is smoking blue pretty bad....either bad turbo or an issue with blowby and cdr.

Hope to swap out old engine in month or two.

Well more to come...eventually

Thanks for looking

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At some point get a dial indicator on your flywheel and crank flange, check them for run-out. I am running into a weird occurrence that I believe is related to the bolt hole spacing on our cranks. It would have been nice to know about this, and turned the flange in a lathe, BEFORE I INSTALLED IT IN MY ENGINE!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point get a dial indicator on your flywheel and crank flange, check them for run-out. I am running into a weird occurrence that I believe is related to the bolt hole spacing on our cranks. It would have been nice to know about this, and turned the flange in a lathe, BEFORE I INSTALLED IT IN MY ENGINE!
I fully grasp what UOU are saying to do trust me I do...however telling us you have a weird occura ce tells us *****.

What are you alluding to that one should be aware of.

If the crank is bent its easy enough to determine but sure will run a dial indixator against rear fla ge....

So whats yer poi t?

On another note.....the 1630 JD tractor in me shop is one piece now so we should be having it up and mobile in next couple days....

A day or two organizi g....then I can work on other projects including my engine.

Tear down to commence very soon...full pics...naw...not this time.

Thanks fer lookimg.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, let me try to explain...

Our cranks have nine bolts for attaching the flywheel. They are spaced around the crank flange as if there were to be ten. Instead of a tenth bolt there is a blank area on the crank flange, and a small hole in the flywheel.

If you measure the flywheel run-out on a high mileage IDI it will almost always exceed the .008" allowed by ford even if the flywheel is true. If you measure the run-out of the crank flange you will find they are out by several thousandth's. If you measure the thickness of the crank flange (on a used crank) you will almost always find that the blank area (where the 10th hole would go) will be several thousandth's thicker then the opposite side of the crank. If you have a "grabby" clutch even after a new clutch assembly & flywheel this is likely your culprit.

Unfortunately most crank shops don't even measure this flange, let alone reface it. They simply assume it has to be OK if the crank is straight. I have found this not to be the case. Both my old crank and the reman I ordered displayed this very same run-out. Even though both cranks are perfectly straight. I even had the reman balanced a within a gram. The guy who balanced it told me there is no way he could balance the crank if it were not straight.

I believe that the unequal pressure applied by the flywheel bolts, combined with the temperature variation, vibration, and possibly corrosion; causes a dimensional change in the thickness of the crank flange. This creates a thick spot exactly where the "10th" bolt would be.

Make any sense?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation...something to definately look at.

Perhaps a 10th bolt could be added to aleviate the issue.

Have you considered that?

Thanks for the inf too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm

Cam is in Oroville....

Waiting for my kid to order his truck parts...so I can pick up all in one run...saves fuel.

John deere should be cometed tomorrow and out my shop...that will allow full cleanup and sorting of shop...then get engine in tear down mode.

Looks like it will be coming together soon. Thank the Lord for this as Blue ox is blue..
Blowing nlue smoke n swallowimg oil....

So dam excited to get this wrapped up.

Will share pics soon.

Now what colour to make engine...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just called somewhat local machine shop....hot tank my block and heads ...stripped down by me $100.00 but it is a caustic tank a d therefore I will need new set and installation of cam bearings.

This is the best method to rid this engine of any and all goo in cooling system once and for all.

So balance and engine clean 600 bucks...not to bad.

Still waiting on couple small parts before I tear this beast down.

Thanks for looking

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uggh @ cam bearings. Make sure you knock out all those oil galley plugs, and maybe the oil squirters too. You don't want to leave any orifice untouched with that stripper.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uggh @ cam bearings. Make sure you knock out all those oil galley plugs, and maybe the oil squirters too. You don't want to leave any orifice untouched with that stripper.
I used to be the grunt when was kid in speed shop...learned all about the hot tank....and what to do for prep...but thanks...

Guess time to check fleabay for cam bearing install tool...ugh

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know ya got this... when I post basic info, it's for the benefit of the other peanut gallery home gamers like myself. ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cam and injection pump are you going to be running?

Cam is Typ4

IP and injectors....are the remanned onez on the reman engine....till I work out kinks etc and work up a budget $$$ for replacement units.

It appears that a main girdle and some studs are going to be making their way here...maybe some gapless second rings...we will see.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over at FTE today http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1393005-performance-head-gaskets.html and looking over the MLS gaskets.

They look great however my consideration is pushrod length and head spacing being wider due to increase in gasket thickness and what that does to intake seating.

300 ponies for a set aint half bad actually for what you're getting.

Wonder how much a 0.110" gasket decompresses our engines to?

Thanks for looking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online