Ring & Pinion

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Hey guys.. it's been a while since I've been on... We've been crazy busy...

anyways....what I am wanting to do is change out the ring and pinions.. I'm wanting to run 4.56's since I am running 40" tires... I've figured out that 4.56's with 40's is like running 33's with the 3.73's.. at least that is what all the calculators show... Currently running 75mph I run about 1800rpm's... I still tow stuff so I could use a little more low end umphhh.

What I was hoping is that maybe some of you have done a gear change or know of someone who has, and can give some advice or ideas when I go to do the job... I thought the job was more or less just an unbolt of the old and bolt on the new... then make sure that the lashing is set up right...

I have a mechanic friend who does this kind of stuff for several other race teams and I think I can talk him into helping me... So I am not too worried about problems.. I am just looking for info beforehand so I don't go into it blind..

Well, thanks in advance for any info you can throw my way... :cheers:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian (Renegade) has done this change in his OBS pickup. You might drop him a PM. I think he even made a good post about it over at SDD. Search Renegades posts over at SDD.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
piece of cake but if youve never done it before it will be a little tough to do it without getting the rearend whine syndrome.as long as all of your bearings are good go to the dealer and buy some dif shims.you will need to have new bearings pressed onto the pinion.and a new crush sleeve if your rear end uses one.

unless you have a good impact gun unbolt the drive shaft and remove the pinion nut while the wheels on the ground.remove rear cover,remove axles.remove the 4 bolts holding the center carrier in.pull the carrier out.unbolt the ring gear.the bolts are left handed threads so righty loosey,lefty tighty.tap the ring gear off with a brass hammer.put the new gear on and torque to specs.pop the pinion out and replace the seal.put the new pinion and bearings in.put the yoke on and tighten the pinion nut.may have to use a pipe wrench on the pinion to keep it from turning.i dont recomend using and impact gun if youve never done this before.during the process of tightening the pinion nut you need to stop and spin the yoke.you want to tighten the nut untill you fell a drag while turning the yoke.back the nut off till it spins freely and has no up/down,side/side,in/out play in the pinion.

this is where it will get a little tricky.you will need a brown paper bag.now put the carrier back and put some shims in with it.take a pieceof paper bag an stick it in the teeth and turn the pinion.you want to leave a good tooth imprint in the paper but not rip it.if you rip the paper its too tight.if you dont see an imprint from the whole tooth its too loose.