Revised junkyard cowl intake.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I posted my first cowl intake in another thread. I used dryer venting and it was ugly as sin, and not very servicable, as removing it would crush the vent. The original below.

You must be registered for see images attach

I really like the cowl intake, so I went to the junkyard and found this.

That's the intake hose from a mid 80s chevy pickup. I got it for free since the junkyard rarely sells them. More often, they get thrown away. Nobody wants the things around here. Makes for good cheap parts. ;Sweet

I had already drilled this lovely 4 inch hole in the firewall using a holesaw and a burly drill.

Where I had a ridiculous piece of 4" aluminum, which I ripped out.

After trimming the elbowed end at an angle, and slightly shorter to clear the MC reservoir, I was here.

Well, just punch a hole in the bottom of one of the pleats, and cut it there with some tin snips, and shove the thing through the hole.

And just for good measure, I ran a self tapping screw through the tube just to make sure it was secure.

And there you have it. Another angle.

This project cost me $1.48 vs. the 8$ spent on the dryer vent setup. I only had to pay the $1.48 because I needed the one hose clamp, and that was left over from the dryer vent setup.

Edited to add. If you don't have an auto (rubber band lol) then you would cut an oval into the firewall above the brake booster instead of a circle next to the booster like I did. My suggestion would be to take two hole saws of a smaller diameter, probably two inch or so, and cut your two holes, then use a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut it straight between them. This plastic will deform readily, and likely seal better that way than my setup.

Here's a picture of the unused round end positioned where you would need to do it with a manual. It will readily deform to an oval. Just smash it, mark the width of the smashed tube, and use the marks as the outside edge for your hole saw holes. Then trim off the elbow section instead of the other end like I did. You will have a more gradual bend than mine. Put the holes as close to the brake booster as possible, so you clear the hood. Otherwise you may somewhat crush your intake. Though it isn't a problem really, I would avoid it.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
works good, cept for those of us without a rubber band between the engine and rear axle.... where u put it is where the clutch master cyl would go... lol

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the answer to that is pretty simple though.

Instead of drilling a 4" circle with a hole saw, cut a 4" oval above the brake booster. This is where the hypermax setup would go. The advantage there is you're cutting flat sheet instead of the bent up stuff where I put mine. Then you trim and shove the corrugated plastic the same way as I did, and can likely clear the MC reservoir easier at the same time.

Here's an example from another site.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27044&stc=1&d=1283207433

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty darn sweet indeed, however do you really think those small holes on the cowel will flow enough air? I'm just not seeing it myself sorry

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty darn sweet indeed, however do you really think those small holes on the cowel will flow enough air? I'm just not seeing it myself sorry

yes.it will pressurize the whole duct and air chamber.the idi won't be able to keep up with cowl induction.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will give the engine more air than it can use in it's current form I would guess. And it will definitely flow better than closed behind the hood.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Butt dyno says the truck feels faster. The EGTs seem to drop quicker once off the skinny pedal. And it seems the EGTs are staying about 100 degrees cooler.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and my filter minder would show about half restriction with a new filter and a stock setup. This setup shows no restriction at all. I may have made my filter minder useless by accident LOL.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's very interesting that you can actually feel the difference. I'm surprised it does that much. Defiantly looks to be worth it then. When I get a custom intake of my own built I will have to see if I can incorperate cowl induction into it. Perhaps a cowl hood if I feel like spend more $. The theory makes sense.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was yours that loud? Mine is a little louder in the cab, but nothing the radio doesn't drown out.