Reverse light problems

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I'm having problems with the reverse lights on my 97 OBS. They have had problems in the past with not working, but was always the plug that goes in the trans coming loose. The plug appears fine this time, but am not getting lights, and bulbs are good. I'm jumping the gun a little posting this, as I have not takin the multi-meter to it yet. I just thought maybe someone can tell me a common problem with these trucks for this. And is there a possibility of a bad switch? And if so, where can I get one and how hard are they to replace?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
are you saying they sometimes work and some times don't? Or do they just not work? There is a fuse under the hood that blew on mine that was just the reverse lights

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
are you saying they sometimes work and some times don't? Or do they just not work? There is a fuse under the hood that blew on mine that was just the reverse lights

Like I said... jumped the gun. That's all it was the fuse, I started elsewhere instead of the simple solution. I wasn't aware there was a fuse under the hood for that, I thought that would have been on the inside block. Guess all the steering fluid that was leaking before must have shorted it, cause it was deff covered in it. Thanks for the help!

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
The plug on the trans was covered, not the fuse block... just thought I'd clear that one up before the comments started :)

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Like I said... jumped the gun. That's all it was the fuse, I started elsewhere instead of the simple solution. I wasn't aware there was a fuse under the hood for that, I thought that would have been on the inside block. Guess all the steering fluid that was leaking before must have shorted it, cause it was deff covered in it. Thanks for the help!

No problem always glad its an easy fix;Sweet

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Well I thought it was just the fuse... but I guess the ole saying "if a fuse blew, there is a reason" holds true. They worked until the inspection mechanic looked the truck over, then the fuse would blow almost instantly when put in reverse. Ended up being the wire from the switch back to the lights was shorted somewhere. I have no patience for tracing electrical wires, so I just ran a new wire from there back and a jumper to the pass side light, problem solved :)