return lines (how to?)

tpolley

Reaction score
trucks hard to start when its chilly. had someone on the forum suggest replacing the return lines. i've searched yahoo for 7.3 idi return line, i've checked oreilly's web site and autozones repair site. i can't find anything.

what are the return lines?
where are they?
what is their scientific name so when i call the parts store i can sound like i know what i'm doing.
lastly, where are some resources that will explain how to replace them.

thanks in advance.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
trucks hard to start when its chilly. had someone on the forum suggest replacing the return lines. i've searched yahoo for 7.3 idi return line, i've checked oreilly's web site and autozones repair site. i can't find anything.

what are the return lines?
where are they?
what is their scientific name so when i call the parts store i can sound like i know what i'm doing.
lastly, where are some resources that will explain how to replace them.

thanks in advance.

The return lines are the little plastic caps that sit on top of the injectors. they have fuel line going between each cap and injector.

They are called a fuel return line kit (caps, orings, fuel hose )

You can send a "PM" to Typ4 on this forum as he sells a kit for a reasonable price. They are also on ebay pretty cheap. See Link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-9-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Make sure you get the right one for your year truck, their are 2 different kinds.

Lastly, look in the IDI tech section for replacing injectors and there's a detailed write up of how to do it. It's pretty easy.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated, they are on top of the injectors, under the injection lines. You will need to remove the vibration clamps from the lines, then remove the line from the injectors to remove the old caps. I'd sugget taking them off intact and using that as your template when making your new return lines. Each injector has two o-rings under the return caps. Remove the bottom one first, then the top one. When installing the new o-rings, put the top one on first, then the bottom one. Be very careful not to bend or crease the injector lines, otherwise, that line is ruined. Replace the vibration clamps on the injector lines when you are done.

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the fuel system servicing article in our tech library (top of this forum).

nuttruck

Reaction score
Where's this article?? I just did the return line kit with caps, o-rings, and lines. All good except right rear most injector is worse now, flowing fuel onto the header and billowing smoke out the back. All I can think of in a poorly sated injector like into the top, a corrupted o-ring, what else? I'd like to read the article to start.

nuttruck

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I figured out the problem and have something to add for novices like myself: the o-rings are very delicate and tear or corrupt easily when rolled on or when the cap is fitted, so be careful! The advise posted here to lubricate the rings must be followed, also check the caps for burrs or anything inside the wall that may tear the ring. After removing the new cap on the injector in question I found both new o-rings were torn and fouled, also one nipple on the cap broke off so handle the caps delicately. replaced both, all appears good, keeping up with my prayers! A great forum, thanks to all!

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where/who did you get your kit from? Mine was a Dipaco kit I bought from Mel (agnem) and I had no issues at all. I did lube the o-rings with Vaseline as instructed in the kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.