Retrieve codes 94 idi turbo?

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys how do I retrieve codes without a reader on the 94 f350 idi turbo, I have tried jumping a wire from the 6 sided plug to the little gray plug, then turning the key to the on and waiting... But nothing happens. Thanks

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little background, I recently put new injectors and ip, as well as new bearings in the turbo... Shortly after buying the truck lmbo, oh well. At least it's done. But anyways, the motor runs great now, but now I'm going to have to spend some money working towards sorting out the transmission (E4od). It has started hanging in each gear, I have to let off the pedal for it to shift, and it shifts out of overdrive with minimal increase in throttle, unless over 60mph. But today I was leaving the store by the house and every time it shifted to 3rd, it found its way into nuetral, so I ended up easing a quarter mile to the house in second. So the questions that come to mind are... Is it toast, or do I need to adjust the tps, or possible tps and the transmission has a clogged filter... So any advice from the more knowledgeable will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you adjust the FIPL on the side of the IP with a DVM? sounds like an adjustment is needed to bring the voltages back in spec.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I am wondering if that is out of spec, I matched it by eye to the old ip, and was hoping to get it close to spec, I burnt my ohmmeter up accidentally a while back and haven't replaced it yet. But will that being out cause a hard shift and hanging?

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tps sensor read with key on, engine off, 1.51v at idle and 4.51v at wot. Questions, comments please. Also my WTS light mysteriously stopped working today, but the controller is cycling.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tps sensor read with key on, engine off, 1.51v at idle and 4.51v at wot. Questions, comments please. Also my WTS light mysteriously stopped working today, but the controller is cycling.

1.2 at warm idle if max. 4.83 at WFO is max

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, so is there any way to spread the voltage differences? To keep the voltage at wot higher and lower the idle voltage? And the spring inside of it must be wound right? When I put it on the new pump, I had to twist it and then put the bolts on so it would let the throttle move? Does that sound right? Never really messed with any tps.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, so is there any way to spread the voltage differences? To keep the voltage at wot higher and lower the idle voltage? And the spring inside of it must be wound right? When I put it on the new pump, I had to twist it and then put the bolts on so it would let the throttle move? Does that sound right? Never really messed with any tps.

your throttle cable just might be stretched. the critical one is the idle volt. if that is off, everything else will be thrown.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks I appreciate that, the shifts are acting crazy, and hoping it's just the adjustment. It revs out until I let off the throttle then shifts and 4th gear will shift down easy unless above 60. The other day it couldn't find 3rd which is a new one to me and thankfully I was 1/4 mile from the house. Just wantin to make sure it's not a tranny part failing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to hold the go peddle to the floor "WOT" to get the correct codes. Since you did an engine removal/re-install it's possible the MLPS is misaligned, put it in neutral, see if the lines on it are lined up. MLPS is on the shifter shaft.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never took the motor out, the cables were loose when I got the truck along with the mount on the steering column, but it's aligned really well. But could you explain how to get codes from a 94? I tried the jumper wire and turning the key on but it didn't do anything.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the jumper wires together on the OBD connector, Press the go peddle "WOT" to the floor, keep it there thru the whole codeing cycle, turn key ON Engine OFF "KOEO", the check engine light should start to blink in about six (6) seconds, you get one (1) flash, then another six (6) second delay, then the code will flash out, like two (2) flashes, then a delay about a second, then say three (3) flashes, that would be code 23, if there is more than one code stored, it will repeat the cycle.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I had no idea had to hold the pedal down! There's my problem lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online