resisted the call to the darkside

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife and I drove by a really nice looking King Ranch dually crewcab on Friday. There we sat in the 91, with a missing passenger door panel (can't find a replacement arm rest), no parking brake, blown left rear hub seal, disabled rear anti lock brakes, loose rear axle gears, marginal a/c, electric door locks that only lock (no unlock) and a nice engine oil leak from somewhere around the turbo. Almost forgot, a 91 grill/nose that is almost as ugly as a 2008 Ford SD.

Went to look at the King Ranch on Saturday, but the dealer had already left at 3 pm. Anyway, it is a 2004 with a 6.0L, a B/W turnover ball hitch, aluminum wheels, spray in bed liner, white/brown paint and a blown left rear hub seal (it should feel at home at my place). Looks like this truck.

I open the hood and there is no way to get to anything. It is a 6.0L which I have zero faith in. Finally, the thoughts of monthly truck payments finished off the idea and returned us to sanity.

I need to get some other things finished off, so I have time and cash to fix the problems with the 91.

Last edited:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go. If I was to ever go to the dark side its 7.3 all the way for me. Chances are I will have a Cummins before that happens though.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Wife and I drove by a really nice looking King Ranch dually crewcab on Friday. There we sat in the 91, with a missing passenger door panel (can't find a replacement arm rest), no parking brake, blown left rear hub seal, disabled rear anti lock brakes, loose rear axle gears, marginal a/c, electric door locks that only lock (no unlock) and a nice engine oil leak from somewhere around the turbo. Almost forgot, a 91 grill/nose that is almost as ugly as a 2008 Ford SD.

Went to look at the King Ranch on Saturday, but the dealer had already left at 3 pm. Anyway, it is a 2004 with a 6.0L, a B/W turnover ball hitch, aluminum wheels, spray in bed liner, white/brown paint and a blown left rear hub seal (it should feel at home at my place). Looks like this truck.

I open the hood and there is no way to get to anything. It is a 6.0L which I have zero faith in. Finally, the thoughts of monthly truck payments finished off the idea and returned us to sanity.

I need to get some other things finished off, so I have time and cash to fix the problems with the 91.
I see TowCat started it what elese do we need to help you with?? maybe a BOOB party???

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
A neighbor that was a cabinet maker came up with an Idea when he saw my broken down arm rests.He cut a pair out of Oak and polyurathaned them -now it may seem that U want a soft arm rest but it naver bothered me.I was proud of the look it had drove with them for years.Loved them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done! The Force is strong in this one. ;Sweet

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, here is the status of each item

1. The door panel, I need either a good black plastic core or an entire blue arm rest. I might go with Mr. Bill's suggestion.
2. Locks, need to unhook each door lock solenoid till I find the problem. It locks ok, but unlocking blows the fuse.
3. The parking brakes, I purchased a new parking brake cable, but the drum is stuck on the hub, so the axle shaft and then the hub/drum will need to be removed.
4. Blown rear hub seal, need to purchase new rear hub seals and brake shoes since the left brake is oil soaked.
5. Rear axle, need to replace the carrier bearings due to excessive back lash.
6. RABS, with the RABS modulator connected, no pressure to rear brakes part of the time. Once that starts, then it locks pressure to the rear brakes. Only way to release them it to bleed the pressure off the cylinders. Guess, I will change out the speed sensor first
7. Oil leak, just found it. The oil pressure sensor or its connection is leaking oil.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
My girlfriend ripped off my door handle on the passenger side and i to a piece of board, cut to fit, sanded, stained, polyeurothane, and grooved the bottom out where a piece of stainles plate fit in the groove and flush with bottom of board. screws through stainless into board, screws through door into board and screw through stainless into metal bracket mounted on door panel. I like the way it looks though im thinking about changing the stain, easy to make to and no problems

sootman73

Reaction score
(if you have a sterling) you should be able to take the hub off with the drum stuck on it. wont be easy with that much weight but it should be possible. i've got pretty good at changing hub seals when ford left my bearing loose. twice in three months! pull out your axle shaft, unscrew the ratcheting nut(i just used a punch and hammer very carefully) its reversed threaded btw. then pull out the first bearing. pull the hub and drum off together. it helps to loosen the shoes in the drum from the adjusting wheel. then you can get at the hub/drum problem easier. i just used a small prybar and a hammer to get the old seal out. the seal only costs $25-30. some come with a tool to put the new one in. if not lightly tap it into place. then you can do the brakes and everything at the same time. good luck. it prob will be a pain in the *ss to seperate everything but its a way.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you even checked with Ford on the arm rests before cobbing something up. Was still able to order red arm rests for my '90 from the dealer a couple years ago. Even if you can't get the right color you could dye them.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im exactly in the same boat. My '86 need a lot of work also. I even went as far as pricing what it would take to fix my truck, and I found that it was about the same prices as a decent used newer SD, and cheaper than buying a new one. I am also scared of the new diesels, and the fact that there is no room. When step one is to remove the cab from the truck, I think there is a big problem. The other thing I found interesting is that as far as mpg's, there really is no increase over what our old trucks make. One would think that with all the technology on then, that the engineers would have been able ot increase both HP and mpg's. So I think I'll just staqrt fixing my old truck.

Tim