Replacing ZF5 clutch/ flywheel problems/ emergency.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loctite on crank bolts? The technical bulletin that came with my kit says it doesn't need thread sealant, but that's not thread locker. If so, which one? Red?
The clutch bolts have loctite red on the already.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a stunning lack of instruction on the Web for this job. Am I correct that the flat shiny part of the flywheel goes toward the clutch?
Man I feel like I have ask some stupid questions. I'd definitely rather only go through this once though

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and a huge lack of mechanical knowledge!
its ok tho i dont mind helping!
but i gotta be an A-hole and point it out:D

the picture if the flywheel you have in post:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ch-Flywheel-SMF-Rep-Kit-Hints-and-Suggestions
post #1?
that is the back of the flywheel. it goes on facing the engine.

remove old pilot bearing. install new pilot bearing( before install, make sure it fits on the front part of the input shaft of the transmission)
the clutch disc, will only go in one way.
use the clutch alignment tool to hold it somewhat in place.

then you bolt on the pressure plate.
make sure you tighten the bolts evenly.
1-2 turns per tightening "sequence".
the tightening sequence (pattern of bolts to tighten)isnt important.
what is important is that you draw (tighten) all of the bolts equal amounts per sequence.

this will ensure that the clutch plate tightens evenly on the clutch disc(to the flywheel), and there will be a point where it will barley move.
this is when you make sure that the clutch disc is dead center

clean the input shaft and collar of the transmission
use bearing grease on the splines and collar.
install the clutchfork and throwout bearing.
operate the clutch fork back and fourth
make sure it moves evenly and smoothly.

then insert 4- 6" bolts into the engine adapter plate.
lift transmission into place, making sure the throwout bearing and clutch fork still works, and it didnt fall off.
slowly move the transmission twards the engine with it in any gear.
you will want to rotate the tail shaft to align the input shaft to the clutch disc.

you will need to wiggle it a bit to get the front of the input shaft to seat into the pilot bearing.
once its close, install 2 bolts, remove the 4 6" bolts you put in previously and tighten her up and finish it!

Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought.
You're very correct though(lol), I do lack mechanical knowledge. I am mechanically inclined and I understand a lot of theory, but virtually no experience. I also have the will, most of the time.
Knowledge ain't the only thing I lack, though. I lack money as well. Lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I do sincerely have mountains of gratitude for the help I've received on here.

the will is the reason i help.
if you have the balls to go out there and do it without the knowledge, but want to learn.
im all for it.
there are still many things i need to learn.
keep chugin man! youll do alright.

look at the bright side.
you got a bran new clutch!
i cant tell you how many times ive had to replace a clutch because i put a used clutch in , i couldnt afford a new one.

but i got pretty good at changing them lol

in my 68 pontiac, ive changed over 100 clutches... i got it down to 45 minutes to do it.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the flywheel bolts on as tight as I could by hand (I'm not the world's strongest man but I ain't no weakling) but no torque spec on it. What would tell me if it were coming loose?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My redneck ingenuity(?) for getting the transmission back in. Despite all good advice I let my brother, who has a reasonable amount of mechanic experience, talk me into leaving the transfer case attached.
Now that it's go time he's a no show. So, I'm stuck here by myself with a ZF5/ 1356 combo needing to be put back in. I guess that's what happens when your plan includes a depressed drunk.
I'll get it done though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a strap under the trans, depending how that's set up you could use it to lift the trans up in place. Take a look at the IDI section, we're just discussing the ZF removal and reinstall without a proper transmission jack. Oh and if the t-case messes up with your balancing act you can always remove it, it's under 100 lbs so it's bench-pressable easy enough.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been following that thread. Learned some from it.
Well, after having the transmission just damn near home it fell because of the imbalance caused from the transfer case. Taking it off just now. Thanks.
The strap is attached to a 2x4 that is propped through the wing windows. The idea is to use that to lift it in place. I had it off when the transmission fell, stupid. Hours long struggles cause poor decisions.
Good news is nothing got hurt when it fell, including me. I was able to get the strap back under it though.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, that was easy. I can just damn near pick the transmission up from the side when separated. If I did I doubt I could do anything with it. Lol
Oh, I also discovered the down pipe was hanging things up when I separated it from the exhaust flange. Made things much closer.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, worked all night(literally) and almost all weekend and it's still not done. That has to be some kind of record.
Anyways, after this epic ordeal I will be the resident expert of what NOT to do.
Lol.
Have to go to work now, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle