Replacing ZF5 clutch/ flywheel problems/ emergency.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im small myself 5'10 @ 180, but im old and have back and knee issues...
I used to take a Pontiac bare block and carry it around...
not any more, im old, and when it comes to lifting heave **** now a days, I grab the forklift lol

I have no choice but to manhandle stuff myself.usually nobody around to help and if they were,theyd just **** me off or get in the way.im old but not old at 36,5,8,160 pounds. but my back,knees,ankles,shoulders,wrists and fingers are junk.i wish i never got into messing with cars.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, about the slave cylinder. I have not disconnected any lines on the slave. Do you push the clutch fork back or the slave rod in? The rod was hanging loose on the boot, and it won't go in any further. Do it need to be aligned somewhere in there? Should I remove a line? I was going to avoid having to bleed the clutch.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no alignment, put it on the transmission and push the badboy in.
make sure the clutch pedal is out.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm learning a lot, I can say that much positive.
However, I installed the throw out bearing incorrectly, as it turns out. So, the transmission is coming back out. At least this time I know what's going on.
I miss my truck.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reinstall those 6" bolts.
and lift up on the trans.
pull it back just far ehough to beable to flip the throwout bearing, slap her back in!

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reinstall those 6" bolts.
and lift up on the trans.
pull it back just far ehough to beable to flip the throwout bearing, slap her back in!
Super smart idea that should have occurred to me, but didn't before I had it back out. Lol
No huge deal, I now know how to do that fairly quickly. I am a quick study.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the tranny back in and the slave in. Pedal operates right. Now just to get the drive shafts back in, refill fluids, shifters back in, and a thorough walk around to make sure everything is buttoned up.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it together, fully. Initial test process good! There is roll over noise below 1100 RPM, which is fully expected. Clutch pedal is super easy to push in, which is different. Easily spun a tire in first.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ +1; I barked the first several launches after the clutch/SMF swaps in our PSDs. Muscle memory burns in the proper action before you even know it.