Replacing water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a NEW AC DELCO pump, 4 gal of coolant and 12' of heater hose yesterday. UNDER 200 bucks......just under that isLOL
You must be registered for see images attach

......now that I can handle, 3y 36,000 mile warranty on pump. Good enough for me for now, the other one I had, the rebuild...limited lifetime warranty...and I suspect I'd be replacing it several times!

So last night prep work on pump, wash down in thinner and paint! I only had one grey so it's what I used.

Today...after wifey went to work...LOL:rotflmao..pump on wax paper on cookie sheet...DON"T WORRY NOT FIRST TIME DOIN THIS FOR ME:eek:

And into the oven it goes!

That's right 225-250 for at least 20 minutes....then allow to cool down, paint won't come off, and it's as close to powder coat toughness as you can get for cost of rattle can!

Ya house really smells funny :rolleyes::eek: and I can hear wife now -cuss...while I:rotflmao

God bless her for putting up with my quirks....I am so fortunate to have her:hail

I was just given an oven for shop use too...and it fell over in a hail/windstorm...and the door broke. So off to crusher it goes, and my dear sweetie made mention of another oven for me for shop use! I also heat my BOOTS in the oven and cover with SNOWSEAL and repeat over n over till they don't take any more sealant...this helps sink that stuff deep into the boots and I'm water proof for a long time! I need to get that other oven...L O L

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOW I DO AN INSTALL!!!

First my disclaimer.

This is my technique and mine alone, taught to me from a good mechanic. However, if you follow my method and the results are not satisfactory, DO NOT PLACE BLAME ON ME, it was your choice to use the methods described here I take no responsibility for anyones choices but my OWN!

Second, I realize some may agree and some may disagree with this method...I'm ok with that...do yer thing, this works well for ME!

Third, I realize that for some, this is old hat....but others here are new to wrenching and I feel I may have something to offer in regards to a good proven solid method of work. I hope that those who need this take what they can and run with it!

Forth...All these damn pictures and doing this like writing a book takes a long time for me and impacts the speed to which I can accomplish my work. That being said, it's well worth the effort to document this for others and myself as well...I'm getting older and just may forget how to do this ***** one day...I can refer back to this...what was I saying??? Oh ya...it takes lots of time!

First...clean...clean....clean...everything, then...clean some more!

You can see I have taken the time to prep everything and as I put in pictures you will gain a better understanding of what is going on. Now this only is the actual install of my pump, nothing more.

Without further ado...

Pump with both the heater hose adapter installed, and the plug it came with pulled and then thread sealant applied...the white goo...

A side by side comparison of the two pumps the old being on the right

Old pump vane clearances

NEW pump vane clearnces...close but maybe not as tight as the old one...hmmm...If I had a press, I may have just tightened that up!

Here I have taken a LARGE flat single cut file and just touched over the entire gasket surface in prep of gasket install ensuring no burrs that would cut the gasket. If I had a countersink (NOTE TO SELF GET COUNTER SINK) I would have just lightly relieved the bolt holes. All in all the machining was good, little to no issue IMHO unlike that other rebuilt pump I had looked and taken photos of earlier...

Also the pump gasket surface has been cleaned THREE times with clean rags and thinner in anticipation of step coming soon...must be CLEAN!

Here is the new gasket and instructions and two new bolts all packaged nicely!

RTFI/RTFM these are important and so READ THEM if your product has them!

After reading those instructions I checked the pump bolt boss heights...now this was on a plywood deck..not a perfect surface but yes...there was a difference and enough I used the new bolts!

Now I have made sure that the gasket surface was FLAT, and CLEAN so I can apply Aviation Form A Gasket on the surface of the pump

Here I have applied the gasket to the pump, and then in a similar manner coated the same surfaces as the pump surfaces with Aviation Form A Gasket, in preparation of install in truck!

Checking the NEW BOLT Vs the old bolt length...appears the same...but I used the two new ones anyway...

Two new bolts with Thread Sealant applied sitting in pump in correct location

All bolts cleaned first with thinner, previously they had been chased with a DIE to thoroughly clean debris off threads

All bolts with sealant applied...EXPECT ANY LEAKS ANYONE?

This is my prep work for the install....

And I'll post more as I go along.....

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the pump...installed

From Drivers side

From Passengers side

EDIT EDIT...

I went to torque my bolts to 14 Lbs Ft and the one I'm pointing at seems to be suspect, I replaced it with an old one and still feels like it's going to strip out. I left it where I it's at and torqued the rest. It is the only one giving me any issue but at least it is at this point...well sealed with thread sealant and aviation form a gasket. My best scenario is to leave this over night, then fill tomorrow that should let the sealant and such set up enough to make a great seal..I HOPE!

Here is the suspect bolt...I know enough when to stop!

At this point...break time for me...getting tired...will continue in while...:D

Hope this helps some!

One thing I have not mentioned as that though I am replacing the HEATER HOSES, I am not doing rad hoses as I have the wide short rad, and I'll be hopefully changing clips and rads shortly. To purchase new rad hoses would be a waste at this point due to my change I plan.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final install hopefully....just gotta fill system now. So here goes, belts back on...did not change ALT, did change the ALT belt...

Other belts remained the same.

Install fan....nice amount of LOCKTITE Blue on fan hub on water pump...

Using my AIR hammer tool to install and tighten down that fan nut something fierce!

This tool setup works nice for removing fans and installing them, I'll let that locktite setup before I fire that truck up...otherwise it really is lubricant to make things slippy and that fan will spin off...once I shut down!

I'll add coolant tomorrow....NUFF for today...just clean up tools n put away!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice write up Al, and jeez i could prob eat off that water pump haha
Thanks Gavin, IT's all about clean clean clean...I cannot reiterate that portion of workmanship enough! I know I'd go broke doing flat rate...LOL but eh. I would not have come backs either!

The only reason it's so clean is fresh paint...give it a while and it's gonna be mildly dirty like the rest of my engine...but for most part...it's really clean too....rofl...

Reaction score
You have fun toys! That right angle impact attachment is schweet, as is the fan clutch nut tool. What's the worry with your method, though? You give a lot of caution to it at the beginning of Post #32, but it seems to me like your method is about as textbook as you get.

Mike

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know if it was a typo, but torque should be 14 ft-lb on those bolts. I would hate to strip or break one of the weld nuts on the back of the front cover. Thanks for the write up and photos.
Tom

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know if it was a typo, but torque should be 14 ft-lb on those bolts. I would hate to strip or break one of the weld nuts on the back of the front cover. Thanks for the write up and photos.
Tom

Thanks!

I never noticed that even after proofing....IT"S CHANGED FOR ALL TO SEE CORRECT INFORMATION!

YES TYPO was tired...and even the damn instructions say 14 LBS FT...um I had to use my highly calibrated HAND from years of experience to torque to speck. My inch pound unit sucks ass from dead pygmy goats...and my good FT Lb unit starts at 20 Lbs Ft....I felt that bolt getting snug...then uh oh..doesn't like more torque! One thing to keep in mind....that lubed bolts usually require less than stated torque as most readings are dry bolts for engines. My thread sealant makes for lube...not great lube but lube...so about 12 lbs ft would be good IMHO....the instructions say only to add sealant to the top two bolts...I don't agree....my experiences would dictate what I did and why.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a SAR callout last night we had a brush fire and where prepped to help with EVAC notices to residences., and I used my truck for Command....again

I had filled the system with water already and it was standing no leaks, so I fired it up and drove to SAR hall and then to site. While on site I let IDLE as my last batch of WVO is crap and it's stuttering and not getting full power.

Anyway, not a drop leaked from pump, the fan worked flawlessly and I"m happy overall with the install. I could still smell the NEW paint...LOL guess I didn't fire it long enough in oven...Anyway I'm gonna run one more day on H2O then drain...and once again fill with coolant.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent write up. This is going in the tech section for preservation, thanks to the pics. I believe you have sufficiently pointed out the difference between a good and bad pump. Wished you had gotten a pic of the pump before you painted it, but that's OK. The machined surfaces for the bolt heads are clearly evident anyway. I won't argue your methods on the baking. My only concern is if the seal can take that heat, but you'll let us know.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My top two bolts stripped out. Next you will have to thread with a slightly larger diamter and get a different bolt.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Today...after wifey went to work...LOL:rotflmao..pump on wax paper on cookie sheet...DON"T WORRY NOT FIRST TIME DOIN THIS FOR ME:eek:

And into the oven it goes!

That's right 225-250 for at least 20 minutes....then allow to cool down, paint won't come off, and it's as close to powder coat toughness as you can get for cost of rattle can!

Covert opps. love it :rotflmao

Revelstoke

Reaction score
I like the looks of that AC Delco pump. Ford has the Motorcraft one in stock. Anythoughts on that one? I agree about the cheaper versions, even if they are lifetime warranty, but. I also want new. SO, what about the Motorcraft one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86