Repacking wheel bearings.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Front bearings are easy to pack and adjust. You will need to pick up a wheel seal for each side. The rear bearings are lubed with oil from the diff.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy but you will need the special socket for the 2 big nuts that hold the bearings. The inner nut has a pin that goes into a hole on the lockplate that's sandwiched between the big nuts.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a little time... Get some good high temp rated bearing grease that is rated for disc brakes and smear a good bit of the grease in the palm of your hand.

This presumes that the old bearing has been cleaned and do not rotate the bearings dry with compressed air!

So anyway, dab a golf ball sized gob in the cup of your palm, spread it out so that you have a mound about 1/2" high...

Take the new bearing in your other hand and slap the edge of the bearing into the gob repeatedly until the new grease works it's way to the top and then start to rotate the bearing very slowly as you continue to "pack" the bearing.

It does take awhile but this works better than that thingamob that you stick a grease gun on the top of...

It took me about ten minutes to repack each of my bearings on the D60 and there are 4 of them...

If you are worried about chemicals, wear latex gloves...

►►►►If you have automatic lockouts, DON'T FORGET TO USE A PICK TO PULL THE RETAINING LOCK CLIP OUT!!!◄◄◄◄

If you break the clip, you will have to decide to either convert to manual lockouts ($250) or spend $44 for a new clip...

Don't ask me how I know... :backoff

If you decide to go with a new clip, then you are faced with having to wait for it to be delivered. If you don't have the patience, then that little clip will cost you $72 with the two day shipping charges included... Quad 4x4 really gouges us with this clip, but as far as I know, they are the only ones who have them.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'm replacing my front drivers side bearings tomorrow (including new races), I'll take some pics and post tomorrow night