Refrigerant capacity?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I need to add a couple of R12 to my van. It has the original system designed for R12 still. Where can I get it?
Thanks.
Burt

Well it depends on if your or the previous owner converted it to r134. If it has not been R12 can not legally be bought without a license, and no you cant just walk into a local parts store to get it. They switched from r12 to r134 because of the environment, because r12 is harsh. Some people want r12 still because it makes your system work less for more cold air compared to r134.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I need to add a couple of R12 to my van. It has the original system designed for R12 still. Where can I get it?
Thanks.
Burt

If you have a license, I get it from my distributor, Last time I called the price for single cans was around $24 a piece if I recall., that was around 3 weeks ago. Price fluctuates on that stuff weekly.
If you want to take the test and get certified to purchase it legally, you can do it online here It's an open book test, they just want people to read the information. Not difficult. I took the thing closed book and still passed 100% ( doesn't hurt that I used to work in an AC specialty shop)

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you read the whole thread, there is talk about freeze12, and the problems with it.

have you read the whole thread? I'm the one that brought it up in this thread. as was pointed out some people swear by it, some think it's the anti-christ. I'm not saying either but I haven't had a problem in any of the things I run it in.

I haven't and don't plan on taking my rigs to a shop to have the A/C serviced so I don't really give a damn if it'll contaminate their equipment and cost $300 / lb to dispose of. I'll recover and reuse it when I service my systems.

I don't want to convert to R134a for one simple reason, everytime I've done it I had to replace all the hoses as well and it got more expensive than I wanted to deal with, the R134a molecule is smaller and if you spray down the hoses after charging an R12 system with it you can watch it bubble straight through the hose.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'm going to try to pass that test to be able to get it legally. I think it will be cheaper than to change the whole system to R134. As it is right now is working, but I had a leak (now fixed) in one joint of the rear unit I have in my '86 E-350 Custom Van and I think needs some more R12.;Sweet

Too bad that everything we like is illegal, inmoral or make you fat.

Thanks,
Burt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828