rebuilding water separator 7.3

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am looking for input and ideas on how to rebuild my water separator.
its a 1990 7.3. i have been searching the threads for days and this is what ive come up with.

i want to remove the heater and put a bolt and jb weld in its place.

remove pressure switch and install a gauge. haveing trouble finding a liuid filled one i like.

replacing the check valve. thinking about plugging it.

replacing schrader valve.

removing water in fuel sensor. plugging that hole with maybe jb weld.

plugging check valve on bottom.

rethreading drain on bottom and installing a 1/4 ball valve.

installing a duralift facet pump next to and install new hose to the filter. also considering installing a hose to the injector pump. trying to eliminate those " olives"

if anyone sees a way to improve what i am considering. please let me know.it helps me brainstorm.

if i remember i will probably takes some photos when i am making the modifications.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Why do you want to delete the water in fuel sensor? ITs ok to get rid of the fuel heater, your in Texas and anyways no one believes it makes a difference. Instead of using a bolt why not just remove the heater and thread it and install a pipe plug?

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i figured the more spts i seal up the less problems i would have. also eventually i see a goldenrod being installed on the frame.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just do something like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

Just a plain old filter head. And you can get fuel/water separators that fit a regular filter head, mine is just mounted under the truck.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope...that's the hose coming off the back that has the plastic wire loom around it. The orifice fitting from the factory head is 1/8" npt. This head had two inlets and two outlets, so I used the spare inlet for the orifice fitting.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nope...that's the hose coming off the back that has the plastic wire loom around it. The orifice fitting from the factory head is 1/8" npt. This head had two inlets and two outlets, so I used the spare inlet for the orifice fitting.

so whats it from?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installing a duralift facet pump next to and install new hose to the filter. also considering installing a hose to the injector pump. trying to eliminate those " olives"

What is an olive? Are the steel lines prone to problems?
Looking forward to see what you come up with.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so whats it from?

The filter head? I liberated a bracket with two of them on it from a '70s International bulldozer.

Also I put an electric pump under the truck- mounted above the skidplate, right below the fuel tank.

I also got rid of most of the metal lines around the filter head...cut them, kept what I needed (like the end going into the IP for example) and used rubber hose for the rest.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the post. I gave up on the bottom part of the filter head. I picked up 33417 with a built in water separator drain. I took out the fuel heater and put a bolt and JB weld to plug it. Cleaned the schrader valve and replaced the check valve. Ordered a PSI guage from JEG's to install instead of the low pressure switch.

askikr79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"olives" are the rubber seals that go into the steel lines on the filter. I think there is one on the IP and at the back of the engine on a steel line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online