rear shackle flip

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Subscribing. So, can you do a rear shackle flip, install smaller lift block with taper, and have a better riding rig with no ill side effects? And then do a shackle reversal in the front and use newer superduty springs for added good ride? I need to at least maintain current weight carrying ability in doing so.

edit: I am not looking for a whole lot of lift out of this, just the better ride and handling.

Last edited:

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with you goose. I want better ride and handling too with no lift. If I ran my truck like Julio I'd be all for it. I do like the idea of adding a shorter block too to kill some axlewrap. As much as I snatch on things I always have broken rear leaves from axlewrap. I know the blocks cause this because they have cracked too.
On the front i'm thinking if you could shorten the front hanger and box in/ brace the frame you could lower the front and inch or two and move the shackle up inside the frame rail (kinda like a toyota with a straight axle) and keep the front at stock ride height or maybe an inch higher. I could live with that..........

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Julio! You are a wild man with your truck! I like the addition you made to your front bumper! Whats going on with your headache rack? Looks like it runs between the cab and bed all the way down to the frame.............how did you make that work? any more pics? I really love you rig man- Keep up the awesome work!

Well, the bed is actually more than it seems.
The stock bed was cracked cause of all the flex, so I decided to build another bed , bob it and hang the sheetmetal.
You must be registered for see images attach

The headache rack is built into the bed.
The bed is bolted to the frame, and the rear of the bed pivots in the middle of th frame to allow for frame flex.
The sliders also bolt into the bed frame.

I had the tapered blocks machined out of steel, cause i've had aluminum ones break and center bolt pins break.

My truck has about 7 inched total lift.
It just looks tall cause of the 43" tires.
I had to modify lots of sheetmetal to make them fit.

43" swampers are probably slightly taller than radial 40" tires case they always run kinda small and radials are usually closer to real size.

I had tried superduty spring up front also, but they are longer than my old springs, and caused issues cause they pushed my axle further back and my shackle angle was too flat .

Stock springs should work fine with shackle reversal.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man- I wish I could take my truck to the level of yours someday Julio! That is some incredible work you've done there I must say. I would love to come down there and wheel with you guys some day- probably in a Land Cruiser rather than my IDI, but ive had friends that have driven their rigs down to central and south america and wheeled in the jungle and said its incredible. Huge rocks and mudholes that could swallow a tank...............my kind of fun. Just got to give you props once more for building such an awesome machine out of a rather "uncommon" platform. Are IDI/ford parts easy to come by down there?

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes years of messing with to build a good working truck.
At least without spending mountains of cash.

I've met many people down here that came driving looking for adventure.
In mostly semi modified trucks, such as Land cruisers and land rovers.

But I'm sure you could do it in your IDI.
Remember Idi's run on anything, and have little or no electronics.
I would just stock up on stuff like Spare alternator, Starter, Filters and u joints, ect...

Everything else you could probably get down here.
If you would like to get a feel for wheeling down here, stop by our forum
[URL="http://4x4panama.com/foro/"]

[/URL]

Well, Sorry for the hijack, Crazy Asian, I also need to finish a rear bumper on my rig.
The one i had before stuck out too far and got hung up everywhere.

Which is why i decided to bob the bed and tuck the rear winch in.
But nobody ever tried to rear end me..LOL

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the Land Cruiser is built for that kind of stuff. My IDI isn't and is a TON less reliable than the cruiser. I've driven my fj60 through all kinds of hell and it has never let me down...........err........stranded. Its broken before but always got me to safety. Plus its locked up front and rear. Big plus in that kinda terrain.
Whats ya'lls forum down there that you speak of?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Will the shackle flip work on a 2wd 350? Or will it give it too much forward rake? Unless I were to lift the front also I would use the stock block that's in the rear now.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shackle flip kit from Sky lifts 4 to 4.5 inches.
Which is about the height of the factory blocks.
If you combine both it will give your stock truck a significant rake.
The shackle flip also changes the pinion angle on the rear diff.
You may or maynot have to compensate for this. depending on how your existing springs are.

I would do the shackle flip and change the factory blocks for smaller or tapered ones depending on the need, or lose them alltogether.
I really don't like the leverage factory blocks have on the rear suspension.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Mine is 2wd so there isn't much block in the rear already. But you're saying I might need the tapered block to adjust the pinion angle?
I won't be doing this any time soon but I like to think about what I want to do when I can afford to.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the arc of the springs, Once you install the shackle flip, you may need to check your pinion angle.
I usually points up after installing.
If it points too far up, you could have issues with your u joints.
The pinion moves quite a bit in these trucks when accelerating or braking.
You don't want the angle to go too extreme.
I installed mine, and then adjusted the pinion angle to my taste.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribing. So, can you do a rear shackle flip, install smaller lift block with taper, and have a better riding rig with no ill side effects? And then do a shackle reversal in the front and use newer superduty springs for added good ride? I need to at least maintain current weight carrying ability in doing so.

edit: I am not looking for a whole lot of lift out of this, just the better ride and handling.

Same here.

I know all my suspension is shot on the truck, and I'm planning on replacing springs, shocks, bushings, etc. So why not do it up a little better and give it a better ride quality, and perhaps gain an inch of lift. The height gain will mostly just be from replacing all the worn out bits though.

I don't want to get into cutting and welding, (although would give me a reason to get a welder :sly)

I like these options here.

..and Julio.... there is nothing else to say, That is a sweet rig there :hail.

3/4 Ton-O-Fun

90F250 na7.3IDI 4x4
Reaction score
Sorry to derail this thread even more...
Hey redstang410, could you perhaps do a thread on your mods and what has worked well?
I am interested in what kind of safari snorkel that is and where you routed your vents.