Rear-End

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
I know this probably has already been covered but I cannot seem to find the information. I have tried several trucks with different gear ratio and concluded that a 3.73 will be the ideal gear for my application. My question is:
Is it possible to use a later ( 99 - up) rear end to get 3.73 and put my OBS hubs on that housing to retain the 6.5 stud pattern. If this is not a resonable solution, then other suggestions would be welcomed. I have one truck with 3.55 and one with 4.10 and it seems to me that the ideal gear is in between. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Foxman

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.73's would be nice. My 4.10's are great for pulling load but empty highway prob sends mpg's thru the roof.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3.73 and they are just about perfect. I am able to cruise at ~70mph @ 2100rpm and that will get me ~20 mpg on the interstate on a long trip. They are also not to shallow to tow, 5000 lb camper I can take off fairly quickly from a stop. Surprises alot of drivers that are going to zoom past the "big slow camper"

This is on the truck in my sig.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Where aftermarket did you go for the 3.73. I am guessing that you changed the gearset and kept your carrier. I was really hpoing to be able to do this with the later rear end but I guess I am outmof luck.
Foxman

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Hubs will not swap from the OBS to SD or vice versa. The spindle is stubbier and the bearings are smaller on the SD.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I think they were aams, the macine shop put them in.
Not shure if E vans came with 3.73 or not, but they stayed with the 8 x 6.5 lugs
the width is also the same as the obs trucks, but the spring perches are in the wrong place.
was gonna use one from a 00 in my 95, but sold the truck

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
To u2slow:
This is exactly what I wanted to know. However I wish you could have said " Yes the banjo housings are the same and the hubs will interchange" but this just my luck. My luck is so bad that , " if they cut women in half - - - - I'd get the half that eats". But thanks for the info as it saves a lot of disgust later. thanks
Foxman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online