Rear driveshaft questions/options

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I will be in need of a rear driveshaft in the near future. My 84 has a 155'' two piece shaft with a center hanger and center slip yoke. There is a lot of play in the slip yoke. I have replaced the female end of the yoke (front part of rear driveshaft) and that didn't help one bit. As there is no driveline outfit near by to rebuild the male end yoke, I will be searching for another complete shaft, or at least the front half. None of the wreckers have one.

So Iv'e been searching online. "Driveshaftshop" will build me a brand new one ready to install (hanger and u-joint included) for $650. Which aint bad considering any wrecker would have wanted $350-$400 for a used one and I would still then have to do the U-Joints and hanger im sure as they would likley be shot. So I have to crawl around in the snow and measure a few things for them.
Has anyone purchased from the driveshaftshop before?
And if there are other options for me out there; what might they be? I do plan on doing a ZF swap or Ranger install eventually and would then have to do something about the rear driveshaft yet again. But that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Thanks folks.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were do you I get driveshafts for 20 bucks at pull a part. What slip yoke is worn out the one that goes into the transmission or the one by the support bearing. In trans there's bushing that makes the yoke tight fiting vs loose fiting.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suggestion...

If these guys can't build you something at a decent price....no one can

http://4xshaft.com/

Superior qualitiy...

I can get local work done so I don't have the issue you do.

JM2CW

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a small town and we have 2 drive shaft shops. There has to be one near you. You just have not found it yet. Maybe call your local jeep or 4x4 shops and ask them where they send them?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Tom Woods won't build me a driveshaft as they don't have a balancing machine made to handle a two piece shaft. So I think I will have to stick with the Driveshaftshop.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of big rig parts places will do driveshaft work also. The local cummins dealer here builds shafts, may want to check out that avenue. I had a two piece shaft done recently and I believe they charged me $350 bucks...

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Are there no parts trucks around? You really should be able to score an extended cab shaft for 50 bucks or less. Never heard of anyone wanting 350 for a driveshaft off a parts truck...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Woods won't build me a driveshaft as they don't have a balancing machine made to handle a two piece shaft. So I think I will have to stick with the Driveshaftshop.

Would they make you a single....shaft long enough?

Just curious

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
As mentioned check around the big truck dealers and repair shops, they will be able to tell you who does drive shafts and most likely they are not listed anywhere.
The place that did my custom shafts when I put my Brownie in does mostly big trucks, but they build for 4x4s etc, but for mine, the guy was worried about the length of the front shaft and he built the living snot out of that thing so I got a set of shafts that look like they belong in a semi :D I cant even lift the front one , but IM not worried about that sucker twisting LOL I ended up paying about $1200 for 2 complete custom shafts that were about 3x as stout as stock with 1450 and 1550 ujoint hardware and slip joints`.
I would think $650 for one stock would be a tad high.

A good shop should be able to just replace the slip yoke end and rebalance the shaft for a whole lot less than making a new shaft. The 1350 size slip yoke parts are not alll that expensive

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It might cost a bit in shipping but Six States should be able to handle the job--driveshafts are their bread and butter. I have them do all my work locally and they stock the Spicer brand components. I'd give them a call and see if you can get something worked out ;Sweet

http://www.sixstates.com/products/locations.jsp

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Replacing the worn parts is the way to go because of the costs. sounds like the place you got the quote from didn't want to do your work. Some crazy shops I have been around will quote a high price for work they really don't want to do.. funny way to stay in business too...

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the t19 drive shaft is longer ,SHORTER TRANS compared to the c6 trans if memory serves i think about 6-7-8 inches if you need just the slip yolk i do have one cost ya,about 40 bucks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Replacing the worn parts is the way to go because of the costs. sounds like the place you got the quote from didn't want to do your work. Some crazy shops I have been around will quote a high price for work they really don't want to do.. funny way to stay in business too...

I see that crap all the time. But that's also how I make my money, so let em keep doing it. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online