Rear Diff question.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Is it worth putting an aluminum rear diff cover on my truck? I wont be pullin an ungodly amount of weight but i heard the newer superduty's have aluminum finned diff covers and they fit my 99?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The new cover is a great replacement for the rusty stamped steel cover used on the 10.25 and 10.50 rears.:thumbsup: You will need to get some longer bolts.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
They will help keep the temps down in the pumpkins and reduce weight slightly. Both are good things. Lower temps will help the fluid last longer. If you can get them for a good price, or if your steel covers are really bad off, then I'd go for it if I had the money and nothing else to spend it on.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info guys! So it will definately fit on my 99? What yr of superduty should i get the diff cover from? What oil should i go with in the rear of my truck. Its a high mileage truck.

zpd307

Reaction score
the covers came out starting in 08. they will fit the sterling 10.25 also. any synthetic 75-140 will do. do you have posi? i have heard most syn diff lubes have the posi additive all ready in it, but i have also heard that some still need more. so if you have posi, pick up a bottle of the additive to be on the safe side.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
How do I know if mine has the sterling rear end? Is it even worth puttin a front diff cover on my truck? I dont know if mine has posi. I dont think it does.

zpd307

Reaction score
you have a sterling axle. they started in 99 with the 10.5, the 10.25 came out in the mid to late 80's. the 08 cover will fit both 10.5 and 10.25. the 08 is the same axle as in your 99.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info! Well I will check on how much they are at ford unless you already know how much they are?

zpd307

Reaction score
check around. the dealerships are allowed to charge what they want. mine in town likes to shut it up your rear on parts. but others on the internet have decent prices. tousley ford in mn is good....