Rear crank wear sleeve, which way does it go?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The wear sleeve we got in out rear main seal kit from FelPro has a straight cut edge and a beveled edge. Which end faces out from the crank (towards the flywheel). Im thinking the beveled edge, so that the seal slips over it easier, but I want to be sure.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The thing should have come with instructions, but barring that, the sleeve is designed to go straight on and will usually bevel toward the center on the outer edge as a seating point on the crank. If it has a beveled edge facing away from it, I would assume that would go on first.
Some sleeves require that you grind a thin bevel in the end of the crank first to fit the things on. Doesn't sound like this is the case here.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure about the Fel-Pro setup, but the Navistar repair sleeve I installed had the bevel facing the flywheel.

It came with an installation tool and instructions, too, for installing the seal properly.

The insstructions had the eal being driven into the rear plate and then driven a little deeper (about 1/16" or so).

Not sure why that was, but that's what it said to do.

I repaired the leak first with a normal seal, and it leaked big time. So, the second time around was the charm. On the job training, I say.

Good luck,

Greg

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wear sleeve we got in out rear main seal kit from FelPro has a straight cut edge and a beveled edge. Which end faces out from the crank (towards the flywheel). Im thinking the beveled edge, so that the seal slips over it easier, but I want to be sure.

You are correct. did you get that box yet?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fel pro sleeve has a installer tool that the sleeve fits in. it's pretty self explainitory which end is the one. don't try installing the sleeve without the tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online