Really High Reving

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Im just wondering if anyone has ever saw a 7.3 with a modified pump, rev over 4k? My friend and I have been playing around with the pumps off of our trucks. We used a bigger inlet, bigger interal spring and a select few parts from a 6.2 pump. Im gonna try to get a video for yall to see. It is actually nice, lol

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
I know im playing with fire, by doing this. I have a couple spare engines laying around so Im not to worried, lol. I have read more then just a couple places that 4300 is the scatter for a 7.3. I have touched 4k a couple times, but I have it set right now not to exceed 4k.

Its strange, but I never knew my truck could get up and move like it does, with just a couple hundred more RPM. It is seriously like a night and day differance!

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I'm just not sure I could stomach the sound of a 6.9 turning that fast. I downshifted into second a little to soon once, and saw near or at the 4K mark, and it was a terrifying roar. While I do wish my truck would rev to the rated 3300 instead of the 3000 that it does, I have no desire to see 4000.

In any case, have fun playing with fire, and video it if you can! :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read that the valves float at 4250. Bumping up the redline to 3850 was one of the things Ken did to the DPS pumps. I don't know if that's part of the moose build though. What else did you trick around with in there? Timing curve? Delivery curve? Plunger size?

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Im gonna try to upload a video from my cell phone. I took it earlier today. I forgot to mention I am running a 5spd, and my truck has 3:55 gears. I always start out in 2nd gear. The video will show almost 4k in 2nd and 3rd gears. To get up to about 3700 in 4th gear, my speedo is reaching 85mph and still climbing. I let off, there really isnt a smooth rd around here to be doing remotely that kinda speed, lol

Im trying to find a dyno around my area, that will let me put my truck on it. Im really curious as to what im putting out to the ground.

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
I've read that the valves float at 4250. Bumping up the redline to 3850 was one of the things Ken did to the DPS pumps. I don't know if that's part of the moose build though. What else did you trick around with in there? Timing curve? Delivery curve? Plunger size?

This pump doesnt have any plunger work. We do have 2 pumps at the machine shop, and we are waiting for them to come back. One pump will hopefully have plungers from a B model mack in it, at least thats what im aiming for. Im looking to build the nastiest pump possible!! Then I just have to build an engine to carry that pump, lol!!

My friend spent almost a hour on the phone with Ken some time ago. Thats where the parts from the 6.2 pump came from.

I know as of right now, im pushing 17psi of fuel at 3/4 throttle in 4th gear, and once I hit 3500-3600rpm I have no smoke!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my truck spins 3700-3800ish and i havent touched the pump, i would really like to but i dont have any money to experiment right now, there is a guy on fte that bought a 7.3idi with a really weird turbo setup and an intercooler, with c6 trans, and he said on full throttle his doesnt shift till it reaches 4300 rom:eek: i told him he should hive me that pump cause im crazy enough to do that to an idi:D

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Mine can sit at a nice and comfy maximum of 3000 rpm all day. I dont want or need it to go any higher than that.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have a different mentality. I never like to see 3000 rpm with my engine, I know it won't hurt it, but it seems like it's just working too hard. I think the best way to get the most out of these pumps is to adjust the timing curve so that you have more useable fuel at any given throttle position and increase the fuel delivery. I really think this is why people have gotten a Moose or a DPS pump and seen lots better performance and yet been able to keep EGTs under control, because the timing does not retard as soon as it does on a stock pump.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wow, those are some crazy high rpm's. Mine goes to 3300. I've driven some 7.3 IDI's and taken them to 3800, doesnt sounds all that bad.

I'm interested about the mack plungers ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online