Really High Reving

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what pump was on the Maxxidyne V8 engine? I'm curious. All the old youtube videos of restroed B-series trucks seem to be using the Cummins engines.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap DB-4 pump to take apart and see if I can make a DB-2 DB-4 hybrid. I cant find a DB-4 pump for sale anywhere.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great minds think alike. Call peninsular Diesel in Michigan, they may be able to sell you one. You may scare yourself with the price. There are plenty of DB4 pumps out there the problem is that they usually are on 6 cylinder John Deere stuff. I've heard of them being on stationary equipment as well. They do exist although rare. They have those .0033" plungers or at least the ones in the medium sized Deere tractors I saw doing my power machinery project at UF did. I think the DB4?DB2 hybrid is the ultimate pump for a 6.9/7/3 application. The trick is getting enough air to burn all that fuel without blowing the headgaskets or getting out of your turbo's efficient range. Alternately the .0033 plungers could be sourced and machined to fit in a DB2 pump possibly. The DB4 head may be superior in other ways too though it is capable of much higher injection pressures than the DB2 as per Stanadyne's website. I wonder if anyone at Stanadyne would talk to us or if we'd get the cold shoulder?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what did the db4 pump come on? was it chevy 6.5l? if so i have found one here local:D

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Think of a way to use the fuel we have and keep the heads on before thinking we need more fuel

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Calvin's pump guy has used the 4 roller DS4s to make a hot IDI pump in the past. Sounded like it was perhaps not a very streetable vehicle though. I was talking with my local injection pump guy yesterday about DB4s and he said he's only ever seen them in 6 cylinder engines. I'm thinking some of the marine 6.5s might have had the DB4 mechanical pumps. Have to call those Peninsular Diesel guys.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Calvin's pump guy has used the 4 roller DS4s to make a hot IDI pump in the past. Sounded like it was perhaps not a very streetable vehicle though. I was talking with my local injection pump guy yesterday about DB4s and he said he's only ever seen them in 6 cylinder engines. I'm thinking some of the marine 6.5s might have had the DB4 mechanical pumps. Have to call those Peninsular Diesel guys.

They seem to be the only game in town at the moment, yet how hard could it be to put the 4 roller settup in the DB2? I thought they were the same except for the 4 roller set.:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We probably can't do that. What I have heard is that the hyrdaulic heads are the same except for the 4 roller thing already mentioned. I also hear there are 2 fuel adjustment screws. If anyone can find a V8 application that uses a DB4 it would be ripe for harvesting parts. Stanadyne says they exist, other members here have said they exist. They just probably aren't real common, at least in the US. I've been half heartedly looking but I really can't afford to take on a project like that till all the credit card debt is gone and I have a bit of money saved. Even then, I have stock head bolts and a non intercooled stock 6.9 so I might have to wait for my ultimate engine build to build my ultimate pump.
As regards the already mentioned B-Series Mack pumps, my local fuel injection guy said they used a Robert Bosch or American Bosch V pump. Doesn't tell me much, but that's probably a lot like what was on the 1st gen Cummins motors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online