Real world fuel economy on 2500 05's automatics?

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just what it says folks.

What are the 05's realistically getting in fuel economy either 2 or 4 wheel? Please be clear if you are stating overhead vs. filling up to the rim.

Thanks

guyintx

Reaction score
my new 05 is getting 16 on the overhead console. only has about 1500 miles on it though. and i have already cut the exhaust off of it.

lukecline

Reaction score
I think my friends 05 gets around 15 calculated hwy, not sure what he gets towing.

his truck is an cc 4x4 dually

doodlbugr

Reaction score
My 05 is getting ~17.5 hand calculated in my commute on mostly highway. The overhead is usually ~7% error on the high side.

Truckie

Reaction score
I just got my 05 auto this past Thursday night, and have not had to fill it up. When I first got it the over head read out said I was getting 7mpg, that was with only 20 miles on the truck. Now today I have 200 miles on it and the over head says IM getting 12.9 mpg.

Kyle Graham

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have had plenty of guys report to me a 3 mpg gain using the Quadzilla xzillaraider there is three versions available towing 65hp unadjustable, 30-60-100hp adjustable standard version and Race version 60-100-140hp definitely worth the price you can easily make up the difference in fuel economy alone and the driving fun factor is definitely raised. This box makes it fuel gains by advancing injector timing.

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
Kyle,

You can add another one to that list, a friend of mine just came down from Reno and he report a 3 MPG gain in his '04 :D

Ram

Master of Nothing!
Reaction score
My 05, 2500 QC longbed 4x4 HO with 11.5inch rear 4.10 gearing and 4 speed automatic, 17x8 wheels, no load, under 1000 miles.

On the first tank it got 11.82mpg hand calculated.

The second fill up milage went up to 16.26mpg hand calculated.

I'm not sure if the overhead readout calculation is very far off. While on the open road going 55 to 75mph, the readings went as high as 18.3mpg on the third tank fill up. With this not loaded its getting as good now or better then the gasser I traded in for it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the ones i've worked on have been getting around 13-17...if your gettin horrible mileage take it to the dealer..there is a pcm flash update for it.

div7racer

Reaction score
When i got my 05 dually,4.10 rear gear,auto,I got 12.8 mpg towing my 30 ft. race car trailer to Sonoma and 13.8 driving more sane on the way home,this with 1000 miles on the odometer,hand calculated.Freeway mileage to work was 19 mpg at 54 mph on cruise control as per the overhead consol.After installing a K&N air system I now get about 20.5 at the same speed,same route,measured the same way.I dont drive this slow normally,I just wanted to see what the best mileage I could get was.Now I am looking at upgrading the exhaust and doing the same tests to see if it helps.

BMF

Reaction score
I have an '04 305hp and a friend of mine has an '05. The other day we where going to lake in my truck and he checked out my overhead milage and was like ***. I get around 18-19 and he said the best he could get before he put the EDGE box on was 16 mpg (gets 17-18 now) . Our trucks are the same except for the year and his is an auto.
I think the higher hp the trucks are making now is hurting the milage. There's talk of the '07's having 400hp which is great unless it only gets 13-15 mpg. I think they should go back to offering an H.O. package like they did a few years back for people that would rather have high mpg than high hp.