Reading e4od codes with multimeter

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read all the tech articles on about every diesel site I have found about reading the codes. I did it like the tech article on here with the mulltimeter set to volts, and a different site to have the meter set on continuity. They both seem to flash numbers. Here is the problem, how do you understand those numbers? To me they are just numbers flashing. They flash so fast I cant understand the pauses or anything. Never did this before..

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of using a multimeter, just hookup a test light in it's place, you can then see the lite flashes, you have to have the engine warmed up to operating temp to get the correct reading, also you have to hold the go peddle to the floor while reading. Your CEL should flash the codes. Turn the key on, after above is done, you get 2 flashes--pause--then more flashes with pause's in between.
Something like this, flash-flash pause (computer ready to extract trouble codes) flash-flash pause---flash-flash-flash pause, that would be DTC code 23, after the pause of the 3 flashes, then it starts all over again. IDI's have only 2 digit trouble codes.

Go here, http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks so much very helpful I will try the check engine light way if the test light doesnt work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online