Read a interesting thread on Diesel Stop, IDI 7.3 , 7.3 turbo rated best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is yes the new vehicles are better in some ways but they cost to much to maintain when something goes wrong with them, I have not looked at the prices but have been told YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE the prices on some repairs on the new diesel or any new truck or car but the new oil burners have been said to be the worse..

If you want to know how big these conspiracies can be go research the real Global Warming and the real purpose of it, the system around us is designed to get rid of the middle class world wide through a debt based monetary system in order to transfer all wealth to the top to the none producers who use a accounting gimmick to do this.

Everybody and all Corps have got to service debt if you conform to this modern system and the Corporations owned and controlled by the banks are just trying to maintain their ground and gain a little in debt servitude and picking your pocket is the key.

Under this current system the Bank ends up owning the whole planet.
Ummm last time I checked there was no one forcing the middle class into buying trucks and other crap they can't afford so that they will go into debt.
This is a market economy. If people want to go out and do that they can,(and they do) and banks will lend them the money and corporations will make the crap for them to buy.
You and I have the choice about whether we participate in that system, its a system based on stupidity not conspiracy.
It sounds like you don't like the system.....so don't participate. If enough people choose not to participate the market economy will respond, with simpler cheaper alternatives.
Until then I'll keep driving my IDI and not worry about banks at all, and only complain a little about the quality of aftermarket parts the corporations are making.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Ummm last time I checked there was no one forcing the middle class into buying trucks and other crap they can't afford so that they will go into debt.
This is a market economy. If people want to go out and do that they can,(and they do) and banks will lend them the money and corporations will make the crap for them to buy.
You and I have the choice about whether we participate in that system, its a system based on stupidity not conspiracy.
It sounds like you don't like the system.....so don't participate. If enough people choose not to participate the market economy will respond, with simpler cheaper alternatives.
Until then I'll keep driving my IDI and not worry about banks at all, and only complain a little about the quality of aftermarket parts the corporations are making.

The US constitution states only congress will coin money, who is coining the money? no I would prefer not to be a stooge of the British Empire but at least they have a plan. There are allot of issues here but the lights have been on explaining how the world really works for 20 years so if the herd be this stupid then let the con men have it.

Wave your surrender flag and say you were right and the Fore Fathers of America be quit wrong.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So the point of this thread is that we all should agree an IDI is cheaper to maintain. I would agree to a certain extent, but then we all have to realize that the platform (truck itself, suspension, drivetrain) are also on trucks that are 20 years old.

The point of your other thread in the 6.0 forum was to tell us that your mechanic buddy told you not to buy any newer diesel for the long haul. To me it just seems like your trying to justify your IDI ownership, but that's just based on these two threads and probably not the case.

I love my IDI, I will own it forever. But I know it's flaws, I know it's chassis and what not need to be gone through to put it back into great condition, and I know it's limitations. It is what it is, and no amount of people telling me otherwise will change that fact.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
So the point of this thread is that we all should agree an IDI is cheaper to maintain. I would agree to a certain extent, but then we all have to realize that the platform (truck itself, suspension, drivetrain) are also on trucks that are 20 years old.

The point of your other thread in the 6.0 forum was to tell us that your mechanic buddy told you not to buy any newer diesel for the long haul. To me it just seems like your trying to justify your IDI ownership, but that's just based on these two threads and probably not the case.

I love my IDI, I will own it forever. But I know it's flaws, I know it's chassis and what not need to be gone through to put it back into great condition, and I know it's limitations. It is what it is, and no amount of people telling me otherwise will change that fact.

No I would buy a 6.0 if they have been fixed or real cheap if they have not been fixed. I have been looking at the prices of a 6.0 and you can get some awesome deals on them because the word is out on them. I hear it is a good motor once you fix it, but like I posted Ford never should have released it the way it was.

I am interested in them because they are a good value, I have seen 6.0's going cheap and with the engine upgraded you have a beautiful truck. It is just the new trucks could have been made more reliable electrically and I believe they have been designed the way they are to service the Corp Debt!

My IDI is a good work truck but the new ones are allot nicer but to expensive for my blood, I can buy 20 good working IDI's for the price of one new Super truck.

The money system plays into this as well, the hole country is collapsing and we are waiting for people to understand why it is happening and that is the point our rulers made, the masses are incapable in general of seeing outside the box that has been carefully crafted for them so I guess they ruling elite are right.

2 wrongs do not make a right however!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
My personal opinion can be summed up with this hypothetical scenario: You are given the choice of an IDI, a 6.0, and a Cummins, all of unknown age, mileage and maintenance. I will pick the IDI every time, because I know that it will have issues but can be whipped into shape and operated over the long run for less, and I can do just about everything that has to be done myself. When you buy used, this is usually what you deal with anyway.

As far as the Federal Reserve, British Empire, and the money system, I wear a tin foil hat of proprietary design that prevents them from controlling my brain waves. I highly suggest that everyone else here start wearing one too, cuz you know they can see this thread and WILL be coming for you. Black helicopters, chemtrails, Major League Baseball's spy satellites, the Illuminati, etc. KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I love the old IDI's but even with their quirks I would take a 7.3PSD any day over an IDI. More power, not hard to work on and very durable. Now that they are old the parts have come way down in price. Having just swapped a PSD in place of the IDI in my truck I can tell you there is a big difference in your facial expressions once your at the top of a hill. I've bought 6.0 trucks cheap and junked them but I wouldn't own one to drive. There is a 2006 F350 4x4 lariat in my yard right now that I got for $1500 with 241KM, runs great - tranny is toast. Flipped it for a $2200 profit with little to no work and an $80 tow bill....Could have made more if I junked it but I hate junking 6.0 trucks - hard to work on. The buyer needed an engine (imagine that for a 6.0) and he got the whole truck cheaper than a 6.0 in a junkyard. I'll do the same with 6.4 and 6.7 trucks when they are old. I have zero desire to own anything with regen on it, but a repowered 09 and up SD would be nice if you have a 99-03 SD for a donor with a 7.3PSD.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
My personal opinion can be summed up with this hypothetical scenario: You are given the choice of an IDI, a 6.0, and a Cummins, all of unknown age, mileage and maintenance. I will pick the IDI every time, because I know that it will have issues but can be whipped into shape and operated over the long run for less, and I can do just about everything that has to be done myself. When you buy used, this is usually what you deal with anyway.

As far as the Federal Reserve, British Empire, and the money system, I wear a tin foil hat of proprietary design that prevents them from controlling my brain waves. I highly suggest that everyone else here start wearing one too, cuz you know they can see this thread and WILL be coming for you. Black helicopters, chemtrails, Major League Baseball's spy satellites, the Illuminati, etc. KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES.

Senator Bernie Sanders had the first time look at the Fed books to see what they did from 2007 - 2010 to keep the system from completely imploding, your more than welcome to take a look at it and learn something about who your real rulers are and what is really going on with this funny money system.

You can also look up on UTUBE and watch Donald Rumsfeld talk about the 2.3 trillion missing from the Pentacon on September 10th 2001 the day before 911.

As I posted the people who are doing this know daa herd do be not edumacate itself and it has cost us our country here in America, all I gotta say is what you be Smokin!

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I love the old IDI's but even with their quirks I would take a 7.3PSD any day over an IDI. More power, not hard to work on and very durable. Now that they are old the parts have come way down in price. Having just swapped a PSD in place of the IDI in my truck I can tell you there is a big difference in your facial expressions once your at the top of a hill. I've bought 6.0 trucks cheap and junked them but I wouldn't own one to drive. There is a 2006 F350 4x4 lariat in my yard right now that I got for $1500 with 241KM, runs great - tranny is toast. Flipped it for a $2200 profit with little to no work and an $80 tow bill....Could have made more if I junked it but I hate junking 6.0 trucks - hard to work on. The buyer needed an engine (imagine that for a 6.0) and he got the whole truck cheaper than a 6.0 in a junkyard. I'll do the same with 6.4 and 6.7 trucks when they are old. I have zero desire to own anything with regen on it, but a repowered 09 and up SD would be nice if you have a 99-03 SD for a donor with a 7.3PSD.

You don't like the newer diesels? just wondering because most in the know I talked to would not own one long term either.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I work on truck diesels for a living so I see what regen has done for engine reliability and repair costs. If I could by a 6.7 cummins or 6.7 powerstroke without egr, regen or VGT turbo's I wouldn't mind having one but that's not going to happen. We managed to make good power before all that crap was added and as for black smoke - that's all in the tune. It's like Gale banks said - it's just wasted fuel emptying your wallet. I'd rather build a 350-400hp 7.3psd and go with that. No regen or egr to cost me a fortune and no DEF to buy. Regardless of what is under the hood I would never spend $50,000+ for a new diesel truck.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score

Ya Ill take a pre common rail 5.9 Cummins any day of the week over my IDI, frankly the Cummins are built much stronger and designed to last much longer then anything that ever came in a Ford (and I bleed Ford blue)

I work on truck diesels for a living so I see what regen has done for engine reliability and repair costs. If I could by a 6.7 cummins or 6.7 powerstroke without egr, regen or VGT turbo's I wouldn't mind having one but that's not going to happen. We managed to make good power before all that crap was added and as for black smoke - that's all in the tune. It's like Gale banks said - it's just wasted fuel emptying your wallet. I'd rather build a 350-400hp 7.3psd and go with that. No regen or egr to cost me a fortune and no DEF to buy. Regardless of what is under the hood I would never spend $50,000+ for a new diesel truck.

Along the same lines the school bus fleet I wrench for is along the same thoughts, well order a gasser when possible instead of a diesel just due to all the new emissions junk. Heck if its any indication were blowing up bullet proofed 6.0s (IH version so officially not called a 6.0 and detuned but same exact engine just painted blue)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
BigRigTech have you seen many common issues with the 6.7 psd?
From what I've seen/heard, it's the second best thing compared to a 7.3 psd.

I've driven a few, and I'll definitely own one someday.

I've seen a cutaway of one, pretty cool stuff. But I knew more about it than the "sale's tech" that was showing it. LOL

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What I have learned about the Ford made 6.7 is the cooling system is suspect. Seems the ERG valve has its own cooling system and thats a complete seperate system that includes the passenger side head. These engines do not have a cooling system that flows thru the block and heads like most any other engine. They for some reason broke it down into sub catagories. And having to run a special "fluid" bothers me too. If that fluid runs out your engine goes to a limp home mode till you refill it.... Not my idea of common man repair friendly engine. Now add all this to having to lift off th cab to work on most of the top of the engine and then actually be selling the special tools to safely lift of the cab tells me nope... Not for me.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Separating the EGR cooling system from the engine is a good idea. It makes trouble shooting easier and less chance of a bad cooler contaminating other systems and vice versa. DEF is the norm for just about every diesel these days, just part of the deal. I agree with you though, having to pull the cab to work on an engine is just ludicrous...I'll buy a newer SD with a blown engine and convert it some day when it's $5000 instead of $55,000.....cookoo

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
So basically my local diesel mechanics are telling me the deal, they said by a older Cummins which they claimed was best or get a IDI or a 7.3 PS pre 2004.

They all said they would not buy a newer diesel and basically said economically you are better off buying gassers when you get into the cost of the new diesels.

I will still try and find the link, thanks for the education on all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online