Read a interesting thread on Diesel Stop, IDI 7.3 , 7.3 turbo rated best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Well since no one will post the link to that post, I suppose I'll give my 2 cents. Cat has been out of the over-the-road truck game since 2010. They didn't want to play ball with the emissions. I'm primarily a Cummins guy, but every manufacturer has had some good ideas. Cat's best idea regarding emissions was CGI, which stands for Clean Gas Induction. This is where they take post-DPF exhaust and put it through a cooler just like in an EGR system. I can only assume that they have a patent on this idea because any other manufacturer would be foolish not to take advantage of this method methinks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As I understand it, the 6.7 has 2 separate cooling systems. One for engine cooling, and one for egr cooling.
If things get a little hot on the engine side, the egr side can dump coolant into the engine to cool things down.
The egr cooler is a big ole sucker mounted up top of the engine.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along the same lines the school bus fleet I wrench for is along the same thoughts, well order a gasser when possible instead of a diesel just due to all the new emissions junk. Heck if its any indication were blowing up bullet proofed 6.0s (IH version so officially not called a 6.0 and detuned but same exact engine just painted blue)

You guys do realize that modern day gasoline engines are far more computerized than their diesel count parts.... cookoo My '92 Honda and now my '94 GMC are both electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, computerized transmission, and EGR emissions. Neither has had any computer related problems... Ever ;Really Even the 6.0 with it's FICM problems is caused by robotic solder joints failing.

To those who bash on the 6.0 and newer PSD's... But have you owned one? Seems like an awful lot of, "well my friend had problems." When are we going to hear from this friend?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
You guys do realize that modern day gasoline engines are far more computerized than their diesel count parts.... cookoo My '92 Honda and now my '94 GMC are both electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, computerized transmission, and EGR emissions. Neither has had any computer related problems... Ever ;Really Even the 6.0 with it's FICM problems is caused by robotic solder joints failing.

To those who bash on the 6.0 and newer PSD's... But have you owned one? Seems like an awful lot of, "well my friend had problems." When are we going to hear from this friend?

We don't mind the computers except for the IDM on the 6.0s never had a computer related problem and with modern software those are a cake walk to diagnose its all the emissions junk and VGT turbos failing that we mind.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The 6.0 and duramax used the same turbo, just different materials. IIRC
The duramaxs didn't have problems with the vanes sticking.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
From what I have been lead to believe the gas engines are not nearly as expensive on initial purchase or to repair? that is what I was lead to believe as the reason fleets were starting to go back to gas.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I will fend for the IDI. I am working for a company that tows frequently and puts a ton of mileage on their vehicles. They have had problems with 6.0's and bought a brand new 6.4 which turned into a lawsuit that was won against Ford. The owner prefers the Fors trucks but won't uspend the money on the 99-02 7.3 trucks and is afraid to stomach another newer one. Most of his fleet is 2005ish Chevys and Dodges.We tow up everything from single axle box trailers to 18,000lb tri axle goose necks cross country. The crew would pull their hair out if they had to endure the speeds that the IDI's can muster. Despite the fact that an old IDI has many strikes against it, I truely believe that over the course of a couple hundred thousand miles, the IDI would win out in cost of operation.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You have to put it into perspective. You could crank the screw on the turbo idi, run a stock powerstroke, in the mid 90's when the chips and tuners were in their infancy. They flat out out ran a 6.5 GM diesel and few knew the potential of the Cummins back then.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
You have to put it into perspective. You could crank the screw on the turbo idi, run a stock powerstroke, in the mid 90's when the chips and tuners were in their infancy. They flat out out ran a 6.5 GM diesel and few knew the potential of the Cummins back then.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

A good running T IDI can pull how much weight good to about 75 MPH ? and a good running PS can pull how much at that speed?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Stock for stock, psd wins it.

Sure hope you aren't the type that says a Cummins with the fuel turned up is stock.

That's what it's sounding like.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good running T IDI can pull how much weight good to about 75 MPH ? and a good running PS can pull how much at that speed?

Mine would pull 10,000 lbs at 60 (Stock IDI) If you wanted to got 70-75 you were down 7-8,000 lb range. Never driven a 7.3 PSD but if you want to go fast IDI will actually beat a stock Cummins of that era...

Status
Not open for further replies.