Random violent shaking

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most stuff is covered already but if I were you I would change out the axle piviot bushings and radius arm bushings also cause your already half way in it. I had this issue on my truck around 70km/h and it was trying to jump up and down or at least thats what it felt like. Found out when I backed up the radius arm bushings made a 5/16 gap from the radius arm bracket... They are easy to replace, you can rip the whole front end out of the truck and do everything to it and put it back together in a day and all you need it a ball joint press and basic sockets up to 1-1/8" and all the bushing cost togther would be about 40-50 bucks.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PO said he did those bushings... I will look into them.

Had an idioit moment...

You must be registered for see images attach

I wondered why I couldn't find a curved inner link... Then looked at another truck of mine and saw the light of day.

New TREs, bearings, rotors, and shocks going in this weekend.

Tires are being retired (ha!) Not chancing anything with them.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New tires are definitely on the list, but I'd expect a constant shimmy from them. Got new shocks ready to go on. Wanted to work from the center of the truck outward on this issue, and the brakes are damn near new so I bet Bubba PO got me again.
early stages of tread separation happening. rotate the tires front/rear and see what happens. is the ass end starts hopping around, you've found your problem. don't let it go to sleep, when the steel belts on these tires gators, it will takre off the side of your bed.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad idler arm on the steering linkage can cause this . Hope this helps.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PO said he did those bushings... I will look into them.

Had an idioit moment...

You must be registered for see images attach

I wondered why I couldn't find a curved inner link... Then looked at another truck of mine and saw the light of day.

New TREs, bearings, rotors, and shocks going in this weekend.

Tires are being retired (ha!) Not chancing anything with them.

That's not good.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New inner & outer tie rods, inside/outside wheel bearings, rotors, and shocks installed. No play in steering box or ball joints.

One brake caliper gave me fits... Musta been dropped and had a gouge keeping the bottom from seating properly. Wore a ridge into the brake pads. A little machine work and got it back in nice and level. Popped in new pins too.

Passenger side shock was dead... Pumps as easily as a water gun. Driver wheel bearings were cooked and very heavily worn.

Now I'm kinda stuck at an initial alignment (no tires up front, getting replaced) since the old driver inner was bent to hell counting turns wouldn't have helped... I've googled the bejesus out of it but haven't turned up any info specific to our trucks.

Sure there's a good starting point buried in a Ford manual somewhere!

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rig up something that you can lay flat on either side of the rotors or wheels, and adjust it so the measurement on the front from one side to the to the other is the same or about 1/32 closer than the rear measurement. Since you are going to get it aligned, you just need to get it in the ballpark.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure the front end is loaded too.
put the jackstands under the twin i-beams.
things tend to change a bit when you do this with an unloaded front end.
as franklin said, this is only a ball park.
when i got my alignment done, the tech was concerned on how far it was out,
when i told him i just replaced everything he said....
"well that explains things"
like the bran new tie rods, and center link didnt give things away lol

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack stands are at the ends of the arms so it's sitting close to normal. Can't believe I didn't think of straightedges off the rotors then measure across...

Here I was trying to figure a way to rig up two laser tape measures from work...

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eyeballed the initial alignment and was perfectly within toe spec, just had both wheels off to the right 2 tenths of a degree.

I can happily report that the situation is resolved. A dead shock, bent tie rod end, shot wheel bearings, and an ancient tire all contributed to the problem.