Random rough idle and blue smoke?

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Title says it, will run perfect then out of the blue when idling it will develop a miss and start spewing blue smoke. It goes away when running down the road and doesn't start until you idle again. It may not do it for a few days and be perfect.

What do you guys think? Air Intrusion? Bad injectors? Truck is completely stock and all original sitting at 120k. It does seem to do it more when its been running for longer periods. Any insight on were to start looking?

Been saving my pennies for a baby moose, injectors and some tranny mods so they are on my to due list just not there yet fund wise. With fixing the body, next week getting new front springs and shocks I'm tapped for this months fun money. Hoping its not any of these cause I want to do it right the first time not fix it and replace it again later with the performance parts.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
does it miss and such just after start up? then it probably is air intrusion. If it does it after it warms up, it is probably is the injectors, possibly improper timing and or a warn IP.

my advice as a baby moose owner, is to save up for a baby moose, new injectors and a return line kit.

There is nothing "performance" about the baby moose. it is a stock rebuild. however it is quality you are paying for. Yes you can get a rebuilt pump for half the cost. And it might be fine, or it might be junk, you are basically gambling.

With a turbo, you might want to get performance AND quality and get the infamous moose pump

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
Its for sure after it warms up as it seems to get worse the longer it runs. I was thinking injectors also but was hoping not as finding BB code new injectors seems to be tough.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking its an injector but... The fuel system is really needing a complete overhaul. That means an injection pump. Bb code injectors and a return line kit. Then time it or have it timed but get that done or you will be leaving hp and fuel mileage on the table. Read up on my timing meter rental program. Then get on the waiting list for a meter. If you can use a wrench and listen to pump removel instructions from some great mechanics here you can easily remove and install + time your injection pump.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all said above, however you might want to try advancing the IP to the passenger side a dimes width. This may improve your idle condition and buy you some time.

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
BB Code injectors. Type 4 is out I think (I think that's who has them from time to time). I saw some on ebay but prefer to spend my money with people that give free information on forums, I feel its common courtesy.

Don't have the extra cash for the IP yet but could do the injectors & return line kit if need be.

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing. It runs kind of choppy on initial start up but after warming up for about 10-15 minutes it goes away. Also after accelerating hard and letting off the throttle it starts to jerk? is that timing or injector pump? I bought this truck a few weeks ago and am just trying to get it so I can drive it and be happy!

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Purchase and install a set of Mylex injectors off eBay. They're cheap and it could buy you time to save for Moose products. That's my plan.

Puller

Puller
Reaction score
I ended up ordering some BB's from Type 4. Hopefully that clears up the problem, plus I ordered a faucet E-pump. I guess I'll redo most of the fuel system this week. I have some -6 flex hose left over from some other projects so I'll do the fuel lines also. Got her undercoated today what a freaking messy job!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin