Radiator Size?

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a TON of the forums here and thanks to all the experts for their knowledge. :thumbsup:

Per the recommendations, I'm going to get a Rodney Red radiator for my '89 F-250 7.3L.

I measured my radiator the other night to confirm size, and mine was approximately 31" wide and 22" tall. This seems to be close to what I see on the auto store websites too.

Jerry (Rodney Red) mentioned his radiator template for us diesel guys is 23.5" tall between tanks, and 30" overall height.

Is this just because his radiator is that awesome, it's taller? :dunno
Will I have issues mounting the Rodney Red into my truck?
Do I not have a stock size radiator?

Thanks for the help.

... still need to read more about this "filter" for the radiator I've heard to help with longevity....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm sitting here looking at my shroud dimensions for a mock up for my RR rad and yes that is correct. THat rad will drop right in. The only thing you will need is to save the old rubber mounts off your old rad and pop those in the brackets and it will drop right in place and bolt in just like factory fit
The height hes mentioning is overall tanks and all. The core measurement top to bottoms is something like 23 1/2, and the rest is tanks

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I'm ordering my Rodney Red radiator today.

I feel a little guilty.... I picked up this truck with 124K miles for $1500, and now I'm almost increasing the value of the truck 50% with a radiator. ;Sweet

.....best decision today!

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOPS! :confused:

Good news and bad news.

The good news is I received my Rodney Red Radiator. It's new, it's shiny, it's really sweet looking!

The bad news is it's not going to fit in the truck as is :eek:. It's the wrong size. Apparently I have the long/short radiator and radiator support, and my RR is the skinny/tall one. cookoo

So I have 4 options in my mind right now:
1) Sell the Rodney Red, and get a different replacement for mine.
2) Go to a junkyard and try to find a radiator support off a truck for the tall radiator.
3) Buy a new radiator support for the tall version. I know I saw another thread about this and I don't even know if I can get one. I looked through the LMC cataloge and didn't see one. (yet they sell the 30" tall radiator???)
4) Cut up my existing radiator support, buy a welder/materials, fab somthing to make it fit.

I was kind of hoping for a plug and play option, but there's ALWAYS snags along the way.

So anyone have suggestions of which direction I should head?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
OOPS! :confused:

Good news and bad news.

The good news is I received my Rodney Red Radiator. It's new, it's shiny, it's really sweet looking!

The bad news is it's not going to fit in the truck as is :eek:. It's the wrong size. Apparently I have the long/short radiator and radiator support, and my RR is the skinny/tall one. cookoo

So I have 4 options in my mind right now:
1) Sell the Rodney Red, and get a different replacement for mine.
2) Go to a junkyard and try to find a radiator support off a truck for the tall radiator.
3) Buy a new radiator support for the tall version. I know I saw another thread about this and I don't even know if I can get one. I looked through the LMC cataloge and didn't see one. (yet they sell the 30" tall radiator???)
4) Cut up my existing radiator support, buy a welder/materials, fab somthing to make it fit.

I was kind of hoping for a plug and play option, but there's ALWAYS snags along the way.

So anyone have suggestions of which direction I should head?

DON'T buy one from LMC, I bought the only one they had a month ago. It was so trashed and halfass built I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and they told me they could not get another one for around 4 months or so. As I have been messing with core supports and what not quite a bit in the past month i will have to strongly suggest you get a different core support(it should fit), but a different radiator would prob work just as well.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change the core support, the wide/short radiator is in the miniority.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your radiator support is not from an 89 truck. These truck came with the radiator you ordered. The core support is from an early truck. The correct core support is easy to find. The one in your truck is almost impossible to find so don't just remove it and throw it to the scrappers. Its better than gold around these parts. Sure... Its going to be some work to change the front radiator support but it will be worth it. You will need the fan shroud also. The shroud you have now is probably the two piece....

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the short/wide radiator and support in my '86. What condition is yours in?

Anyone know if these came in any of the gasser trucks?

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go to a junkyard tomorrow to get a radiator support for a tall skinny radiator. Can I get a support from a F150 or F250?
And can I get one from any truck from '87 to '91 if I have an '89 truck?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Only the F250 and 350 core supports from a diesel equipted truck will work for you. No gasser core support will work.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the F250 and 350 core supports from a diesel equipted truck will work for you. No gasser core support will work.

HUGE thanks for the info.
And it has to be from an 87-91? Or would a 92 up fit?
There's a cherry 93 f350 here...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
HUGE thanks for the info.
And it has to be from an 87-91? Or would a 92 up fit?
There's a cherry 93 f350 here...

Yup has to be the 87-91, 92 is a different critter. I have a 92 and got rid of one of the earlier style ones here a while back . there are few differences, I'm not sure what they are, but I imagine you would find them when trying to get fenders on

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I think there's more tech knowledge here than in any dealer...

No luck for me though. I went through two good junkyards and every truck was a gasser. I guess that's good news knowing the diesels are still on the road.

I'm just going to have to swing by the junkyards each week waiting to find the right radiator support.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I think there's more tech knowledge here than in any dealer...

No luck for me though. I went through two good junkyards and every truck was a gasser. I guess that's good news knowing the diesels are still on the road.

I'm just going to have to swing by the junkyards each week waiting to find the right radiator support.

go to www.car-part.com and you should be able to locate one at some out of the way boneyard that you never heard of that's not too far away