Radiator mount question...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a gasser and swapped the larger hoop. Wasn't difficult at all (if you have the right tools for the job). Mig Welder is a must because the steel is thin and even thinner on all of the repo parts!
You must be registered for see images attach
I also installed a Champion Rad which is a direct bolt-in.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...because I live in Maine, where apparently Morton Salt Co. has a monopoly on all the DOT road maintenance contracts...
I assume you don't salt the roads in AZ... :D

I was looking for a replacement because I didn't want to deal with the fabricating/welding... But it's actually not the bottom that rotted out. That is fine, and actually surprisingly good looking. Right in front of my wheelwell/fenders, behind/under my lights was where I had all the rot. I had to do the fenders anyway... They were shot. Pass side even had a fault line style crack going up it's inner wall... While the fenders were off, I cleaned up those corners of the mounts face, and just fabricated and welded on some new stuff. A36 cold rolled, with 6011 rod. It's not pretty (amateur would be giving me too much credit), but it's got my compartment shielded from spring road crud, so that's good. Found out while i was inder there that my front driverside cab mount area was soft, so I got under there and did a "fab as I go" repair. Since the metal plate above the cab mount bushing was still good, I cleaned it, and did the same thing, outward from that plate... L stock for the edge lines of what was too soft to keep, then filled the in-betweens with 1/16" plate.

All new shocks and and a new steering stabilizer setup, plus that welding; tightening everything down that had been rattling loose....... She's driving better than she has in a while. New tires and an inspection on Friday... Then a swap to a reman set of BB's I just picked up over the weekend.

Not a bad week for Olga...

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know what this refers to for my radiator?

Attachments

• radiator.pdf
    103.4 KB · Views: 1

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It means your truck came with A/C and has a larger radiator. Don't quote me on that, I consider myself stoopid when it comes to the IDI differences with the '92-'96 trucks. My bricknose had the super cooling option and instead of the short/wise radiator, I have the tall/narrow radiator.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...because I live in Maine, where apparently Morton Salt Co. has a monopoly on all the DOT road maintenance contracts...
I assume you don't salt the roads in AZ... :D
The person who asked is in AR, not AZ. But I doubt they use much salt there, either....

It means your truck came with A/C and has a larger radiator. Don't quote me on that, I consider myself stoopid when it comes to the IDI differences with the '92-'96 trucks. My bricknose had the super cooling option and instead of the short/wise radiator, I have the tall/narrow radiator.
Hmm, RockAuto does list some 15 1/2" high radiators for the '92 7.3. 'Course, that's the height of the _radiator_; that does not necessarily mean that it has a smaller SUPPORT.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody messes the abbreviation up! Don't feel bad.

And, to answer your question, no salt here. Just a sand mix for the twice a year we get ice, not snow. We just stay home when it gets bad out! Whole state shuts down. Sometimes, they turn out school for a forecast of snow or ice, don't even wait for it to start.

I suppose I should have been more clear on my question. I figured it was rust, but I was more curious where. If your lower hoop was good, you could graft it onto a new gasser core support, etc....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non AC radiator and associated parts are pretty rare compared to the AC stuff. I think I have seen 2 short rads in my life.we see probly 2 big rads a week