Radiator Issues

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 87 6.9 a couple nights ago the fan went through the radiator. I think this happened because the vac pump came loose and bent the **** out of the fins. I made it home fine, watching the temp gauge but it never got very hot. I found a used radiator out of an 89 7.3 box truck which I assume is auto transmission. Would this work in my truck? I'm just going to straighten the fins on the fan.

Thanks!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Was it a cube van or a truck with a cube box on it? If it has teh same front clip as your truck it will bolt right in.

If it was a van front end...you could make it work, but it might not be so fun. Me and BigRigTech already looked at this possibility. It looks like it can be done no problem, but a little cutting and drilling.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek:I'm just going to straighten the fins on the fan.

It will probably wobble or shake like hell. It may even come off "unscrew" and go thru the radiator when stopping the engine. If your gonna do that, make sure you use some loc-tite BLUE on the threads when reinstalling it. If you can get the radiator get the fan also.

Depending on how much coolant leaked out, if there wasn't any by the temp sensor, you wouldn't know how hot the engine got.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm near Butler, PA. Straightening the fins might not be such a great idea...I will probably try to find a fan at the junkyard or something. Thanks!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the radiators for manual / auto trans are identical. On the manual trucks, they just plug off the trans cooler section on the bottom of the radiator. That's how my original radiator was.
As someone recently pointed out, this makes a nice heater to run your fuel through for burning WMO/WVO.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above... Don't use the bent fan even if you feel you can straighten it out. Getting a differant pitch in any of the blades will cause all kinds of vibration ..... That will ruin the bearings in the water pump. A fan is easy to find on any wrecking yard motors. Sometimes you can find them already removed because someone wanted the clutch of the radiater....

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a wide radiator I think 37 inches at the top if you are interested. I am in Michigan though.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably be too expensive to ship from Michigan because these radiators are heavy! I'm trying to find one local, there are several trucks being parted out and I contact the people and they won't contact me back.

icanfixitall- Thanks, I didn't think about the water pump bearings.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will an OBS powerstroke radiator work? I can't find a IDI radiator at a good price used.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No.. they turn the other direction... I tried that once but it didn't work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online