R&D stage 1 cam

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has this cam in their truck and what kid of improvement it truly does towing and performance wise

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one! It's just in the engine on the stand waiting for heads and turbo system to be finished lol

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one! It's just in the engine on the stand waiting for heads and turbo system to be finished lol

well then you'll find out just like me i guess haha .. also how do u order it from him like do i need to call cause he said on the website to email him he responded three weeks ago and hasn't since

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few people over on FTE running it. It seems to work really well for them and has made some pretty good power on the dyno as well. Iirc Justin dynoed 342/749 with a slipping clutch. He is running a lot more fuel now and is planning on dyning soon.

Also he is hard to get ahold of sometimes cus it is something he does on the side. I would email him again. He will get back with you I'm sure.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few people over on FTE running it. It seems to work really well for them and has made some pretty good power on the dyno as well. Iirc Justin dynoed 342/749 with a slipping clutch. He is running a lot more fuel now and is planning on dyning soon.

Also he is hard to get ahold of sometimes cus it is something he does on the side. I would email him again. He will get back with you I'm sure.
ok thanks only reason i'm in a rush is i've already started rebuild and hopefully can get the park withing next few weeks

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one in my new rebuild. I upgraded a lot of other things too, and I've only been on a short test drive, but I'm impressed with the overall performance of the new engine. I've got to do some more tuning yet.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
ok thanks only reason i'm in a rush is i've already started rebuild and hopefully can get the park withing next few weeks

If you need a performance cam in a rush, a Typ4 might be a good option for you too. Plenty of people here run them. Just send him a PM.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the folks running this cam deal with a smaller base circle.I have yet to figure out how the are returning the correct valvetrain geometry with non adj rocker.Even a adj roller setup will nor correct the "arc" due to reduced diameter of the lobe.Anyone?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a good question to ask Justin too because his cams are also a regrind just like the typ4 cam is. Not sure why your asking about the cam being a regrind because its still doing the same thing. Opening and closing the valves. the lift does change but its conpensated for in the grind. your not loosing anything. your gaining.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would depend on how much material thay are taking off the base of the cam..when you grind something the circle gets smaller.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I asked Russ about this, he said he runs a shim under the valve spring. I think 0.030" I think that takes up the slack from the regrind. Justin probably does something similar although I have no first hand knowledge.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure the shim under the spring has anything to do with the cam or the grind. It has something to do with the closed spring pressure and Russ has the 910 comp cam springs in his engine.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It adjusts the spring pressure. If I understand correctly, that is all that has to be done because as you pointed out, the cam is doing the lifting etc. The only thing that changes is the height that the pushrod comes to relative to the head. The rocker arm doesn't care exactly what angle it's at (I assume) so the only thing you have to do is make up the distance of the regrind in the path of cam lobe>lifter>pushrod>rocker>spring>spring seat (head) so that the spring pressure ends up coming out the same as the stocker. I suppose conversly, you could change to a slightly taller spring, but the shim allows you to use the stock springs. I'm pretty sure that's what Russ told me in a post a while back. I'll have to go find it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK for those that are not 100 % on valve train geometry, lets look close shall we.

Stock cam, stock block, stock heads, stock rockers, in other words no extra machine work like decking block or heads etc as those affect geometry as well.

The rocker does in fact like to work on the valve in a certain point and the closer to the centre of the tip of the valve the better! This is where ROLLER rockers have a wee bit more leeway!

hydraulic lifters have some cusion if you will for differences but it's minimal, and another reason we don't use adjusters, they are self adjusting, how much I don't know ask a more knowledgable person than I!

Now grind the cam's base circle which in effect raises the lift by comparision of toe to base and what that does is lower the pushrod in the block a wee bit canting the rocker back a bit too, now here is where the HYD lifter comes into play I think allowing the rocker to be forced back to the stock location.

If we had a solid lifter cam we would need to re-adjust the valves after installing a reground cam as it's done on the base circle and that clearance would increase, if we didn't it would become noisy!

Now lets cut the heads and deck...now we have the shortened the distance from pushrod cup on rocker to cup on lifter, this in turn presses on the valve sooner but wait, we have HYD lifters that take up that lil bit.

So the key is the HYD lifters and to NOT go beyond their capability to take up the slack or to handle the decreased clearances depending on what you do.

Every single thing we do in the engine that is machine work affects some other part down the line, and its how those parts intereact that is key to whether we have success or failure. Failure to recognize that there is an incredible amount of part interaction can lead to a BIG BAD KABOOM if you know what I mean, when tolerances stack up in a bad way.

I'm hoping I've cleared this up with a very broad approach to it. I'm not one for picky details unless requested but I could write a paper but wont cause there is more info on the net than I've forgotton in years. LOL

You can research this further if you want more info!

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726