Pyrometer questions

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Now that I am close to being on the road, I would like to look at adding a pyrometer ('cause you know I have to play with the pump ;) ). I like the looks of the ISSPRO gauge, now the question... there is two that look the same, the R607T and the R607VW, both go up to 1500F BUT the Yellow/Red starts at different points. What one should I be looking at to best match the "max temp" of my motor. Next thing is going to be of course, where should I install the sensor for it?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I'd better ask to be sure...is your engine turbocharged?

The two questions you ask actually depend on each other. :) You can either mount the thermocouple (the sending unit) before or after the turbo in the exhaust line. If you mount the thermocouple before the turbo, the absolute maximum temperature you can even remotely safely reach is 1250°F (and I wouldn't run the engine for very long at that temperature). If you mount the thermocouple after the turbo, the maximum safe temperature drops to 1000°F, due to the turbo sucking up a fair amount of the heat (among other things). Given that even a new gauge might not be 100% accurate, I would strongly suggest using a lower number for your max safe, like maybe subtracting 100 or even 200 degrees.

Personally, I prefer the thermocouple to be mounted before the turbo. There, it will react faster to changes within the engine, and will give you a more up-to-date reading on how hard your engine's working. Some people prefer to have the thermocouple mounted after the turbo, due to concerns about the thermocouple breaking and damaging the turbo if it's mounted pre-turbo. But, I've never heard of this actually happening, so I don't see it as something to be too worried about.

If you have a naturally aspirated engine, you want the thermocouple as close to the exhaust manifold as possible (so you'll really only be reading one bank, unforutnately), and follow the "pre-turbo" guidelines mentioned above.

For the color-coded gauge, one of the gauges has the red starting at 1250° and the other gauge has the red starting at 1000°. The first one is for a pre-turbo thermocouple; the second is for a post-turbo thermocouple.

Hope this helps some...good luck! :)

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
That helps lots :hail

No turbo for me... possibly some time in the future, but no time soon... I will look at trying to pick up the "Pre Turbo" one then.

I was wondering about the one bank thing, I will try and get it as close as possible.... I will take a good look at the exhaust tomorrow, see if I end up with more questions then.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
My rigs are N/A and I placed the probe 3 " down from the manifold on the drivers side. Easy access and good area to drill. I get some pretty wild numbers if I am standing on it or driving it like ya stole it. :D

Ron

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mount it in the passenger side exhaust pipe right near the flange. This way the wiring kit you want to get with the gauge and probe will be just the right length. You should avoid cutting, modifying or looping the wiring, as it is extremely sensitive to changes in resistance, and inductance.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it in the d/side exhaust manifold, just in front of the brake booster. U should not have to drop the exhaust to get rid of the fillings, as U are no turbo. Personally I want the most accurate temp reading I can get - when you get to 1200 + say good bye to the pistons. These are my readings on 94 350 dually turbo auto w shift kit, modified intake with ats down 3 inch down pipe and flange + 3 inch sraight thru. 2400 prm +/- 70 mph 650 exhaust, 165 engine, 180 trans at 5 lbs boost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes