Put a 7.3L PSD in a '77 F-250

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I think the price is right if the body work was done correctly, even if it had NO engine trans or axles

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One tip for you, or anyone..... I remember in years past, when we were looking at used vehicles, Dad always had a small magnet with him during the process. He would goto the "normal rust spots" (For Example, on the older Ford Trucks, above the rear fenders, and behind the rear tires) if they were clean and free of rust, and stick, or attempt to stick the magnet to the spot. If it had no, or a thin layer of filler, the magnet would stick, if the spot had been "iced" in bondo, the magnet would fall off. It was a small magnet with very little power, like a refrigerator magnet. You do not want a strong magnet, as it could give a "false good" because it could stick to the thicker bondo.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
yes, but i live about 4 hours away from the truck.

I am going to assume for the price he is asking and since you are in the RUST BELT it is full of bondo. A nice clean RUST FREE truck is easily worth DOUBLE his asking price. And that would be a 2wd w a 302. Not a 3/4 ton 4wd w a 460 and a dana 60.

Remember, if it is to good to be true, it usually is

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
One tip for you, or anyone..... I remember in years past, when we were looking at used vehicles, Dad always had a small magnet with him during the process. He would goto the "normal rust spots" (For Example, on the older Ford Trucks, above the rear fenders, and behind the rear tires) if they were clean and free of rust, and stick, or attempt to stick the magnet to the spot. If it had no, or a thin layer of filler, the magnet would stick, if the spot had been "iced" in bondo, the magnet would fall off. It was a small magnet with very little power, like a refrigerator magnet. You do not want a strong magnet, as it could give a "false good" because it could stick to the thicker bondo.

saw something similar when i worked at the auto auctions, some guys walked around with a magnet spacifically made for that. it could also tell you how thick the paint was. that way you would know a repair was made in that area even if it was all steel under the paint.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well that's it guys. he sold the truck earlier today. at least he was nice enough to email me. Mabey it is for the best who knows.

Thanks for all the input.

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the purposes of installation simplicicty, and the fact that the engines are easier to maintain, and put out just as much (and in many cases, more) power as a PSD....

Why not an IDI Turbo?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
For the purposes of installation simplicicty, and the fact that the engines are easier to maintain, and put out just as much (and in many cases, more) power as a PSD....

Why not an IDI Turbo?

I mean this with the most respect to your opinion.

in my opinion if i were to do an IDI Turbo it would be a wast of time since i already have and IDI turbo even though it is in a '94 instead of a '79. Also I would put a 2000-2003 7.3L PSD in and those do make more power than a stock idi and can make even more. i would not be doing any engine mods anyways. In my area IDI's are impossible to find in decent codition. If i am going to spend my time and money on a project like this i would want to put the drivetrain that i really would like into it.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score

Why not an IDI Turbo?

I modded IDI turbo can put out more power than a STOCK PSD.

Just like a modded IDI turbo can put out more power than a STOCK Cummins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle