PSD conversion

tractorman86

Reaction score
You can get on a dyno but I still say he will only be around 300hp.
Another thing is too a TS chip in 140hp is also known as Fuel 7 & consists of a sheet load of fuel & timing. Not good for your motor.

i'm not arguing, we where going to get it on the dyno at an event jan 31st till i had my little "incident". i just know seat of the pants it runs like a ***** ape;Sweet. Fuel 7? sheet load? i'm not that savvy when it comes to comps, what does that mean?

oh and a jd 466 is just thier rip off of a DT 466, i would loooooovvee to do a dt swap!!! although i think my 4" lift would become more like a 2 or 3" LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, I'm not Rich.;Really Dude I'm not trying to argue with you but.....I never said you can't get 400HP out of a PSD. What I said is.......it is not a good platform to search for BIG HP. 400HP is not "BIG" in my opinion. You double that and we'll talk.;p I also said ..........it was not designed to make 400HP which it was not.

Heath

im not arguing either but i would suggest that you do some research.there are psds out there with over 500HP driven daily and reliable.if my plans go the way i want this year i will be up in the 1000+HP range and still be streetable.all i need to do to hit 450HP is upgrade my turbo,im still running the stock turbo.this summer it will be getting head studs,cometic gaskets,fire ring the block,BDPs big ole smokey injectors,and the latest wildman programs on the chip.the nice thing with the psd is you can build a 1000+HP with one and run stock programs and youll never know it wasnt stock.i can turn mine down below stock power and turn it up to the 400HP with a flip of the chip switch.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm not arguing, we where going to get it on the dyno at an event jan 31st till i had my little "incident". i just know seat of the pants it runs like a ***** ape;Sweet. Fuel 7? sheet load? i'm not that savvy when it comes to comps, what does that mean?

the TS 140HP program is called fuel7.and just as the name implies it just dumps fuel.the worse programming you can run.i hope you have a pyro!!1200* max before you melt pistons.unless you have upgraded your injectors you are not getting another 140 horses out of it.youre only getting 75HP max with stock injectors.i had the ts programs including the fuel7/140HP program.compared to what i have now the ts programs suck!my egts were through the roof with thier programs.as much work as i have done to my motor my EGTs are very manageable unlike with the TS crap.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i am trying to get him to quit dumping money into his samari and get a set of guages but he just always says " yea i really need to do it when i get the money", then he dumps $450 into a 6to1 kit for his T-case:rolleyes: he'll blow it up sooner or later and i told ya so wont quite cover it.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
the TS 140HP program is called fuel7.and just as the name implies it just dumps fuel.the worse programming you can run.i hope you have a pyro!!1200* max before you melt pistons.unless you have upgraded your injectors you are not getting another 140 horses out of it.youre only getting 75HP max with stock injectors.i had the ts programs including the fuel7/140HP program.compared to what i have now the ts programs suck!my egts were through the roof with thier programs.as much work as i have done to my motor my EGTs are very manageable unlike with the TS crap.

Exactly, a custom burn will run & shift smoother & still make more power. It's about $300 for a set of gauges boost, trans & pyro with all the mounting stuff & it will let you know what's going on. Chances are down the road if you tear that engine apart you will find a cracked piston or 2 if he keeps running it hard in that program with no gauges.

tractorman86

Reaction score
he has a standard so trans tune is useless, what else could it adjust other than fuel psi, volume, and timing?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it doesnt change fuel psi.it changes hpop pressures,fuel flows,timing,and most importantly cylinder pressures and temps.too much timing and fuel will push the cylinder pressures and temps high enough to grenade a piston before you know whats happening.

cgraham

Reaction score
I was thinkin 12V but the DODGE crap i dont want any part of.
Actually Cummins is not DODGE. And if a 12V Cummins is crap, then why do the F-650's have Cummins (or Cat) engines and not PSDs? I guess when it comes to heavy duty trucks the people who build Fords don't want any part of the Power Stroke Diesel?LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tony wildman programs.but the problem is the ts chip is now copyrighted and nobody but ts can program it.i got mine before the copyright garbage was done so mine can be programmed by anyone.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Actually Cummins is not DODGE. And if a 12V Cummins is crap, then why do the F-650's have Cummins (or Cat) engines and not PSDs? I guess when it comes to heavy duty trucks the people who build Fords don't want any part of the Power Stroke Diesel?LOL

The dodge crap i was refering to was the dodge parts needed(alt,a/c,p/s pump,starter) And i didnt want another "ME TOO" cummins conversion

cgraham

Reaction score
The dodge crap i was refering to was the dodge parts needed(alt,a/c,p/s pump,starter) And i didnt want another "ME TOO" cummins conversion
What if you pulled a Cummins from an F-650? It should be a direct bolt in, right? No Dodge parts, either. All Ford! I'm not trying to say the PSD swap is a bad idea. The 7.3 PSD is a great engine, but I ruined some injectors just by running a mild programmer in my '02, and injectors are around $1000 by themselves, so to say that you can run enough fuel at a high enough pressure to get 400 HP on the stock injectors doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like the Cummins is more reliable at the higher HP levels and that upgrades are a lot cheaper (and replacement parts, should something go wrong). Either way, it's an upgrade from the IDI.;Sweet

Also, today I saw a '79 F-250 w/ a 3208 Cat in it(sorry, no pics). The guy had to cut the hell out of the firewall to clear the turbo, and it was bolted to a ZF-5. And he was still running a Dana 44 front end. It was cool, but I'm not really sure what the point was. He told me the engine was a reman straight from Cat, and it cost $15,000 just for the engine.cookoo