PSD conversion

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
OK. prob gonna get alot of flack about this but....... I'm not sur my 6.9 will ever be up to what i want to put it thru.. I want 4oohp reliable and i'm not sur the idi can handle that. I hava a 95 f350 PSD stick 4x4 utility truck that i bought for a song( needs fenders,and door and its school bus yellow) I was thinking about building this engine and putting it in my 86. What do you guys think:dunno O and selling the rest of the truck as a glider

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
you'd probably be better off putting the 86 body on the 95 frame. There's lots of wiring with a psd.

tractorman86

Reaction score
NO, BAD!!! :backoff jk i think barney and Aric have got the right idea if you have got to have that kind of power without dropping 3grand extra.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I already have a solid axle for my 86. The 95 is a CC(cab-n-chassis) Dually so body swap is out

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be that bad of a job, just take everything from one and put it in the other. Only thing is, parts are a lot higher for the PSD, although there are a lot of little free or really cheap tricks to get more power out of them, not quite 400hp but they put you a little closer and then some more money would put you at 400hp. It's all about how much you want to spend.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thats the thing$$$$$$$ I dont think the 6.9 will hold 400hp for any lenght of time even if i can make it. The PSD i can get to close to 300 by just a chip and CAI. I have only $1500 in the PSD utility truck w 121k on it. And it needs body work. I could prob recoup the 1500 by sellin the front axle,zf5 and utility body. But then i have to "build the 7.3(turbo,injectors,fuel system and possibly big oil):dunno And swapping all the electronics and tanks

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 6.0L and performance parts are so expensive for them. I am running the Edge Juice with Attitude and it has plenty of power, but I really want to tinker more, and it is just so expensive. Therefore I have reverted back to playing with the old technology which is much cheaper. Plus I don't want to void the warranty on my newer truck, it has been very very reliable though and never given me a problem.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that fever where you just keep wanting more and more power out of something, I blame it on my early tractor pulling days. I havent got to pull much for the past few years and I am itching bad to get something back on the track consistently.

I only got to pull my 560 a couple times in the past few years and I am hoping if the economy doesn't go to complete crap i might get to hook it a few times this summer. I am hoping if I get back to that I can leave my trucks alone and focus on the tractors. Either way it takes a lot of money, but it is a easier to continue going to work and everything if I just break my toy tractor.

cgraham

Reaction score
Part out the F-350 and find a 12 valve Cummins instead. That will definitely be a lot cheaper than trying to squeeze 400hp out of a 7.3 PS.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, the PSD is not a great platform to go looking for big HP either. If you want a hot rod diesel and you want to do it as cheaply as possible, you might as well jump on the cummins bandwagon. The IDI and PSD are good, strong, reliable motors that do the job they were designed to do. They were not designed to make 400HP and run sub 12 second quarter mile times.:dunno Just my two cents.

Heath

tractorman86

Reaction score
i dissagree a 7.3 psd is very capable of making a reliable 400hp without spenting 1grand. you just have to keep an eye out for deals and do what you can tinkering first and foremost, much like our trucks. also there are guys making 900hp with the 7.3s and they hold togather for a while although i do agree if you are going for those kind of astronamical numbers a 5.9 is the way to go

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If you want 400 hp in a 7.3 PSD, you're going to need a big turbo, big injectors, big oil, big fuel system, good custom tune, and of course all the minor little things. Then you need a clutch if it is stick, or a built tranny if it is auto.
You'll easily reach $5,000+ doing this.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, the PSD is not a great platform to go looking for big HP either. If you want a hot rod diesel and you want to do it as cheaply as possible, you might as well jump on the cummins bandwagon. The IDI and PSD are good, strong, reliable motors that do the job they were designed to do. They were not designed to make 400HP and run sub 12 second quarter mile times.:dunno Just my two cents.

Heath

are you kidding me?im building about 400HP at the rear wheels with my psd.and it runs 15.07 in the 1/4.

but to the OP i have a 94 factory turbo idi that i will swap with you for the psd and all the wireing with it to put it in my truck.ill give you the IDI,ZF5,ats exhaust for the psd and everything i need to put it in my truck.