Propane kits? other mods?

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the engine back in my truck after fighting a head stud battle and moving for a while. I got in touch with Type 4 waiting on pricing on the compressor side turbo upgrade. I have a new unused DPS upgrade pump (not sure how well that will work after what happened with my studs) Im making a 4" downpipe housing instead of using the ATS upgrade 3" housing. Lastly friday Im going to look at a dana 60 to replace the TTB d50 I rebuilt and put up front.

Aside from what I have I would like even more power. Which propane kit seems to work the best on our IDI's? I would like something that doesnt take much effort to install/operate. I could use the extra power.

Ill try and get up a few pics.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I finally got the engine back in my truck after fighting a head stud battle and moving for a while. I got in touch with Type 4 waiting on pricing on the compressor side turbo upgrade. I have a new unused DPS upgrade pump (not sure how well that will work after what happened with my studs) Im making a 4" downpipe housing instead of using the ATS upgrade 3" housing. Lastly friday Im going to look at a dana 60 to replace the TTB d50 I rebuilt and put up front.

Aside from what I have I would like even more power. Which propane kit seems to work the best on our IDI's? I would like something that doesnt take much effort to install/operate. I could use the extra power.

Ill try and get up a few pics.

you could always make your own propane kit

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a few pics. I would be to skeerd to make my own propane kit. :) I have not a clue where to start with that.

You must be registered for see images attach

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I got a few pics. I would be to skeerd to make my own propane kit. :) I have not a clue where to start with that.

:love::love:thats how im going to paint mine when i buid it:sly

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:love::love:thats how im going to paint mine when i buid it:sly

LOL yeah dad had some old tractor paint laying around and I used it (think it was dozer paint). Im glad he had a little more because it needs to be cleaned and touched up but I just wanted it in the truck while he was there to run the tractor while I set the engine. It went allot easyer this time. I guess after pulling and putting 3 times you finally get the hang of it. LOL

Maybe this weekend I can get most of the wiring and fuel hooked up. I really need to get my turbo set off and done ASAP. I really want to get this thing running so I can enjoy it.

To do list.

get turbo upgraded and re-installed
install fuel pump hoses and wiring
build intercooler pipes
build 4" downpipe
swap dana 50 to dana 60 with locker
Install locker in the rear
buy aluminum wheels
get drive shafts shorten/rebuilt
buy new crome grill and head lights
re-paint truck and bed line
buy propane kit and install

The engine, trans, and T-case I have re-built so it will be darn near like new if I get all this done and it finally works out for me. Im chompin at the bit on this, Im really excited and I hope I can get into the 260-280 power range.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for as much as he's got into his motor, worm yellow is a befitting color.;Sweet:D

LOL yeah thats for sure! Lucky if for some unholy miracle this thing doesnt run since my pops ditched his IDI for a PSD he left to me all of his IDI stuff including 3 engines, ported heads, a set of arp studs, ported manifolds, upgraded ats turbo, good blocks in standard, bearings and total seal rings. Basically enough to do another full build without having to order anything or machine work.

IF! I say IF this for some crazy reason doesnt turn out I will just try it again. I really do think it will be ok even though its been sitting.:angel:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL yeah thats for sure! Lucky if for some unholy miracle this thing doesnt run since my pops ditched his IDI for a PSD he left to me all of his IDI stuff including 3 engines, ported heads, a set of arp studs, ported manifolds, upgraded ats turbo, good blocks in standard, bearings and total seal rings. Basically enough to do another full build without having to order anything or machine work.

IF! I say IF this for some crazy reason doesnt turn out I will just try it again. I really do think it will be ok even though its been sitting.:angel:
you're the only other person who I know is using "total seal" rings. I have a set in a 6.9 turbo doing long term testing right now and it's looking pretty good so far. My concern is the thinness where the ring interlocks and the compression ratio our motors run at. He's at 100k right now with his rebuild and he drags a 12k fiver around, so he's a good test mule for me. don't know how you set yours up, but they did take almost three times as long making sure the gaps were in spec before throwing in the slugs.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're the only other person who I know is using "total seal" rings. I have a set in a 6.9 turbo doing long term testing right now and it's looking pretty good so far. My concern is the thinness where the ring interlocks and the compression ratio our motors run at. He's at 100k right now with his rebuild and he drags a 12k fiver around, so he's a good test mule for me. don't know how you set yours up, but they did take almost three times as long making sure the gaps were in spec before throwing in the slugs.

My machinest ordered mine for the bore and they fit perfect with no grinding. The thin part doesnt take much of the brunt of the force so it lives well. I know one thing my dads 7.3 had them and even after 300K miles he still did not have a nasty oily mess in the intake like it was the first time. However his head gaskets let loose. :rotflmao Another thing when I rolled the engine over it sounded like a big rush of wind coming out everytime so I know it has good pressure with them. I also used them in my mustang and they have the same stainless make top ring. It went a smidge over 800hp with 76mm turbo and 18ish psi. I am a total seal fan.......not of the total seal prices though.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i made a propane kit its really simple and kinda cheap if you already have a bbq tank;Sweet just need a high pressure regulator that u can get from tractor supply, a solinoid valve from msc and some fuel hose/clamps exc:sly

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i made a propane kit its really simple and kinda cheap if you already have a bbq tank;Sweet just need a high pressure regulator that u can get from tractor supply, a solinoid valve from msc and some fuel hose/clamps exc:sly

:hailHMMMM so how would I do this? I have seen some of these remote start switch throttle control models? What about running it passed the coolant to help vaporize it? I just want tomething nice that will give me power and allow me to use it reliably every day?

One more pic I had.

Last edited:

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:hailHMMMM so how would I do this? I have seen some of these remote start switch throttle control models? What about running it passed the coolant to help vaporize it? I just want tomething nice that will give me power and allow me to use it reliably every day?

well i did mine simple, you could get into making it like variable controled with the throttle, or get a hobbs pressure switch and run it off boost depending how u wana do it. i just turn mine on when i want it and u can feel the powerLOL, as for vaporizing you could do a hih set up easily i just wasnt too worried about thatLOL but it may help i have never ridden in a truck with a "kit" but this seems to work prity good and iam shure u could improve it, but the basics are quite simple;Sweet

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i did mine simple, you could get into making it like variable controled with the throttle, or get a hobbs pressure switch and run it off boost depending how u wana do it. i just turn mine on when i want it and u can feel the powerLOL, as for vaporizing you could do a hih set up easily i just wasnt too worried about thatLOL but it may help i have never ridden in a truck with a "kit" but this seems to work prity good and iam shure u could improve it, but the basics are quite simple;Sweet

How much power can this add on the IDI?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well based on the seat of the pants method if iam at half throttle it feels like i go farther than full when i turn it on and thats at a verry low flow setting i dont feed it much, but i have never got it on the dyno so i really dont know maby some one elce does?

can u fill out ur sig? u have a studded motor right?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So joe, when you have this thing built, after you get some miles on it, we need to see some dyno numbers. Hope it all works out fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online