Proof of a thermostat gone bad.......

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
That is a real contrast to what I have found to be the general consensus. Care to elaborate? I have planned on replacing my thermostat since i picked up my truck and I had originally bought a stant, but after reading opinions here I ordered the motorcraft.

Not really much to elaborate, except I'm not a fan of OE parts, too much money for what is often inferior parts. We have had the discussion before, I run Stant, always have, I run Wix filters, always have, I ran a parts store/garage and worked in a machine shop that dealt parts as well for years. I have GREAT luck with Stant. I too fell victom to purchasing Motorcraft thermostats...I had one to put in, one as a spare...I listed them both on here and sold them. My Stant has been going strong for all the years I've owned my truck, probably 10...it was one of the first things I did, get the right coolant in there and change the stat. I do something though that everyone has said I shouldn't, I drill a 1/16" hole in EVERY thermostat I install. Let's them bleed air and such, and this one was no different. I see (digital gauge) 220 as my max temp. I just pulled a horse and trailer through the WVA mountains on a near 100 degree day and NEVER saw above 205...that was with the truck floorboarded for 20-30 minutes at a time. So, for those that are stuck on Motorcraft, I'm sure Ford appreciates you. And believe me, if I thought a $20 thermostat was better, I'd pay the $20...but I don't, so I wont.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Factory temp gauge is an idiot light with a sweep hand. When it indicates a problem, it's too late. Like you've all heard, get a real gauge and I know everyone is doing that or working on it...but where the sweep hand is in the range doesn't matter. I've been playing with gauges in my 87 and I varied temperature up to 230 degrees and the factory indicator never showed a difference from 160 on up! Just FYI

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
For all you aftermarket naysayers...Motorcraft makes head gaskets! lol How many have used them? I'm not exactly sure where this thermostat legend started, all I can say is I'll run another Stant when this one dies, or I feel the need to change it. I often wondered if some people owned Motorcraft stock! :)

Black dawg

Reaction score
There are several stats that will fit/function correctly. It isnt so much the name on the stat, as the correct style. IF your stant stat restricts the bypass hole as it opens, then yes it will work fine.

And yes to the drilling a hole in the stat, I do that on pretty much everything.

Just realized your truck isnt turbo, that takes a huge load off of the cooling system, plus it is a 6.9.
Any turbo/towing application should have a robert shaw high flow style (what the IH and motorcraft are a CHEAP copy of) stat.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all you aftermarket naysayers...Motorcraft makes head gaskets! lol How many have used them? I'm not exactly sure where this thermostat legend started, all I can say is I'll run another Stant when this one dies, or I feel the need to change it. I often wondered if some people owned Motorcraft stock! :)

MOTORCRAFT.
The Ford Motor Company launched this auto parts division in 1972 to provide replacement parts and original equipment parts. This brand replaced Autolite as Ford's official parts brand. Autolite is still a brand name in use today, but is now owned by Honeywell. Motorcraft was originally launched in the 1950s with very little success, and was dropped when Ford purchased the Autolite trade name. Ford was forced to sell Autolite by the Federal Trade Commission. The Government found Ford had violated antitrust laws.

Today parts are designed and engineered to fit for installation on Lincoln, Mercury, and Ford vehicles. Some parts, such as Motorcraft's extensive list of oil filter applications, fit a wide variety of makes/models not built by Ford Motor Company.

Motorcraft products are sold through Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships, as well as select auto parts stores.

Many times, Ford will approach a contract manufacturer of a particular product (many times a supplier to the company already) and work with them to create a version for sale under the Motorcraft name. These products must meet quality standards set by the Ford Motor Company to be considered for retail sale.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not so much recommending IH or Motorcraft t'stats. But, all the posts about what t'stat to use from a lot of the younger (Ignorant meaning, not knowing) first time forum users and/or first time IDI owner. Most parts stores will sell any t'stat brand and say it's the same as Motorcraft when actually it's not, then they have a problem with engine heat. For that reason, IH or Motorcraft is the only one recommended for a Ford IDI.

And yes to the drilling a hole in the stat, I do that on pretty much everything.

When you do that, your actually changing the design of the t'stat.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When you do that, your actually changing the design of the t'stat.

Maybe it's a change that OEM should have considered...they work fine in every vehicle I've ever installed them in, and for a large part of my life, I turned wrenches for a living, was ASE master certified, yada, yada.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Just realized your truck isnt turbo, that takes a huge load off of the cooling system, plus it is a 6.9.
Any turbo/towing application should have a robert shaw high flow style (what the IH and motorcraft are a CHEAP copy of) stat.

I would say the exact opposite! I'm producing probably higher EGT's (that relate directly to coolant temps - I'm mentioned this before about watching both gauges) since I don't have a forced induction system shoving air into my motor. I have a dual sweep aircraft style pyro, I can watch it climb just as I watch my digital temp gauge climb, albeit not so rapidly, but there is a direct correlation between the two at least in my truck.

And one thing I will add, MANY stores, even Motorcraft product lines, will rebox parts. Happens on a daily basis when a parts store changes lines, they often just take all the stant, motorcraft, robertshaw, etc. product lines and put them in their boxes. I've seen it done, managed a parts store with an owner that tried to make more money by line switch incentives than being an effective counterman (in fact, that's why I quit and went to work turning wrenches and in the machine shop). This practice often gets junk parts in a box of a reputable parts line, often these parts also get returned for store credit, seen owner do that as well, and who knows where they end up. At any rate, my point simply is, this is what works, and I can tell you that if my truck is moving, 95% of the time, it has 5000 pounds or more behind it, that's why I have it! I have a 4X4 SUV that I use for everything else! The stant stat with a 1/16" hole in it keeps my truck under 210 all the time. Has for all the time I've owned it, which was before this forum existed! So, when it comes time to replace it, I'll put another stant in it with the 1/16" hole drilled in it, which basically just allows air to pass through and stops a vapor lock from occurring. Many tstats have it, usually with a jiggler valve so once it's filled, the valve closes off the opening, but in my case, if there is any loss in cab heat (which there is not) from the constant bypassing, I'll gladly accept that to be able to pull hills like I just did with 10,000+ pounds behind me and never see over 210 degrees. Usually 205 is the norm when working it, 202-205 from empty to hauling heavy...so things much be working ok.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
MOTORCRAFT.
The Ford Motor Company launched this auto parts division in 1972 to provide replacement parts and original equipment parts. This brand replaced Autolite as Ford's official parts brand. Autolite is still a brand name in use today, but is now owned by Honeywell. Motorcraft was originally launched in the 1950s with very little success, and was dropped when Ford purchased the Autolite trade name. Ford was forced to sell Autolite by the Federal Trade Commission. The Government found Ford had violated antitrust laws.

Today parts are designed and engineered to fit for installation on Lincoln, Mercury, and Ford vehicles. Some parts, such as Motorcraft's extensive list of oil filter applications, fit a wide variety of makes/models not built by Ford Motor Company.

Motorcraft products are sold through Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships, as well as select auto parts stores.

Many times, Ford will approach a contract manufacturer of a particular product (many times a supplier to the company already) and work with them to create a version for sale under the Motorcraft name. These products must meet quality standards set by the Ford Motor Company to be considered for retail sale.

I guess FelPro and Victor don't have the same standards then, so why doesn't everyone install motorcraft head gaskets...which was my original question...I can answer it, because Victor and Felpro focus on one thing and spend their money to make it better than OE! My dad has 40 years of dealing with Ford as a Quality Control manager...so I'm pretty familiar with their program!

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Like I said, this OE stuff comes up constantly and usually I just go about my merry way, knowing it's mostly ********...maybe I should have this time, but having read "only motorcraft" so many times, and yes, there are only motorcraft parts that I use, like glow plugs, not because others may or may not work, but because just like my stant thermostat, I know they work, they've been in there since the same day (or at least week) that I installed my Stant thermostat all those years ago!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:QUOTE=sle2115;751954]I wonder if the fummins guys will run Motorcraft t-stats? lol[/QUOTE]

Now thats funny as hell right there...:rotflmao:thumbsup:

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of information in this thread. I went with Stant because of the reliability that comes with the name. There are not many times I find myself giving into the whole OEM thing only because I have found good reliability with something else, but the change was so dramatic with the thermostat, I figured this would be one of those times when OEM would be the way to go. Though I should mention it worked great for a few months so who knows, maybe I have something else causing the problem that decided to break at the same time or instead. I'll find out eventually! One thing I never heard of was the 1 1/16th hole idea. The stant had such a hole with the rattle bulb plug on it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Lots of information in this thread. I went with Stant because of the reliability that comes with the name. There are not many times I find myself giving into the whole OEM thing only because I have found good reliability with something else, but the change was so dramatic with the thermostat, I figured this would be one of those times when OEM would be the way to go. Though I should mention it worked great for a few months so who knows, maybe I have something else causing the problem that decided to break at the same time or instead. I'll find out eventually! One thing I never heard of was the 1 1/16th hole idea. The stant had such a hole with the rattle bulb plug on it.

Stant has added that due to air lock issues. If you ever work on the never vehicles where the engine isn't the highest point in the system, nothing like getting a heater core full of air and trying to get it out. I have a $500 coolant testing/vacuuming setup just to pull a vacuum in them so when you open the valve on the coolant mix, it fills every void. AND I STILL DRILL THE HOLE if there isn't one present! Makes getting the air out so much easier. VW bug comes to mind, as this was the vehicle that caused me to purchase the air eviction kit I have!

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have worked at a parts house, and can tell you that the aftermarket quality has went down fast. These days its all about CHEAP, 9 times out of 10, a customer will choose the house brand over the more expensive product line. Manufacturers know this and are following suit to stay competitive.

There are applications where OEM truely is the best, but often times the cost outweighs the benefit. Making a blanket statement that says aftermarket is the best is taking it a little too far. There is alot of aftermarket that is complete garbage. OEM may cost more, but generally you can be assured that you will at least get a reasonable service life out of it, where as aftermarket is hit or mis and buyer beware...