project: watch out Kentuckians

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MY!!!!

Think the cam change was the piston/valve culprit?

Missing metal on the piston crowns? EGT's kiss 1200 range much?

Heath

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MY!!!!

Think the cam change was the piston/valve culprit?

Missing metal on the piston crowns? EGT's kiss 1200 range much?

Heath

I was thinking the cam could have been a problem.

I am pretty good on watching the EGTs. I don't normally go much past 1,000, but maybe I was looking at the gauge wrong.LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How deep are the deformations on your pistons? Less than 0.010? If so, Mahle reduced compression pistons would clear.

Heath

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had this engine opened up before?

yes, in 2015 I took it out before my rally in NH. I had a pretty bad HG coolant leak. at the time it all looked good.

What cam were you running?

when I had the engine out in 15 I installed the typ4 cam. the engine is back out to fix some leaks and do the head studs.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got one in my engine too. I hope promar did a good job checking clearances. Did you do the valve spring upgrade as well or stick with stock?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How deep are the deformations on your pistons? Less than 0.010? If so, Mahle reduced compression pistons would clear.

Heath

il have to measure but the intake is just tapping the piston. It looks like the exhaust valve is hitting the most and appears to have made a good indent.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got one in my engine too. I hope promar did a good job checking clearances. Did you do the valve spring upgrade as well or stick with stock?

I kept the stock springs. from what I gathered they weren't really needed. maybe I am wrong?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last thing I heard from Russ I believe was that after he had a few clearance issues of late he was going to make upgraded springs a 'requirement'. I think there was some conversation about maybe the grind profile had drifted a little over time. That was a while back. Seems like there was possibly a questionable batch. It was still really hit and miss. Some folks had issues and some didn't. I really wondered if it had more to do with which head gaskets were used. I don't know and I don't want to speak for anyone else. I probably bought my cam about the same time you did even though it wasn't installed until last year and started... well this year. I upgraded to the comp 910's because well, they run about 80-90$ a set and I am planning an exhaust brake so I was looking for a little spring pressure overhead anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online