Project Red Cent

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tore the Dana 35 down and started cleaning it up.

I'm going to replace all the axle shaft ujoints and the wheel bearings, and the pivot bushings. Everything with the pumpkin seems tight, so I'll just clean up the housing and bolt it back up.

I was happy I found this one, along with its matching 8.8 rear end because it already has the gear ratio that I want.
what ratio are you running?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
what ratio are you running?

3.55 ratio and 35" tires. That should put me right at 1800 turns @ 70mph in 5th. I expect this drive line will be bored out of its mind in such a light truck, and not ever hauling all that much weight. So I went for a nice mpg conscious cruising rpm...

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
got the 8.8 all cleaned up with new wheel bearings, and oil seals. also converted it to disc brakes. Its just an open carrier, a locker is in the future plans, but just not in the budget for this phase.

I installed it under the truck tonight, now on to drive shafts... :D

Attachments

• 8.8.1.jpg
    8.8.1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 8.8.2.jpg
    8.8.2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 8.8.3.jpg
    8.8.3.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 8.8.4.jpg
    8.8.4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 8.8.5.jpg
    8.8.5.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 45

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great. ;Sweet
Is that the stock turbo or did you go with something a bit bigger? What do you plan on putting out power-wise?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Looks great. ;Sweet
Is that the stock turbo or did you go with something a bit bigger? What do you plan on putting out power-wise?

Thanks Brandon. Its the stock compressor with a smaller wastegated exhaust housing. My understanding is the stock exhaust housing was just way to big for these, and it just wont spool up. Once I get it on the road, and start tuning and testing it, I'd love to see it put 200hp+ to the ground. Which may mean a different turbo, and many fuel system mods.:D;Sweet We'll see.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
red cent gets shafted

got the drive shafts figured out.

I was able to find a rear drive shaft from a 2 door explorer that happened to be the perfect length for the front shaft. And I special ordered a rear shaft with just the right length.

got them both painted up and in the truck.

Now on to exhaust! ;Sweet

Attachments

• ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 221

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
been working on the exhaust, I hit a stopping point today waiting on parts, so I rigged up the accelerator pedal.

Seems like a simple thing, but it was a pita to get right. After some cutting and welding, I had a bracket that held the stock cable just right. So I just had to take a video of it.

http://youtu.be/XborSgly3wU

RedTruck

Reaction score
Pretty sweet looking build Rob!

Like everything you have done in the past it is top notch so far. Are we going to get any more examples of your casting abilities on this build?

Thanks for posting,

Paul

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Been making a lot of progress.

Got the exhaust done. I went 3" from the turbo back to a 1st gen dodge cummins muffler, and 3" from there out the back just behind the right rear tire. (stock tail pipe location)
I tried to take pictures but without a shop lift they really arent worth posting, you just cant tell what you are looking at.

Got the front clip back on, and all the under hood wiring done. Radiator hoses hooked up. Hydroboost all plumbed in and functional.
I plan to add an intercooler eventually, but not at this time, so the stock crossover pipe it is. Well, after I modified it to fit the new turbo location anyway.

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like a custom hood is in order!

awesome stuff!

makes me want to go buy a ranger

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Please keep is posted....I love this build....hmm maybe because I'm a ranger owner also:dunno...:D

Thanks Tim, will do! :Thumbs Up:

looks like a custom hood is in order!

Believe it or not, the hood just barely fits, I have about 1/4" clearance between the crossover pipe and the hood blanket. :rock:

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments guys.

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 166

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online