Problem!

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my problem I need an answer for... My 89 F250 4x4 reg cab with the 7.3 IDI and ZF 5 speed was running kind of rough on a drive I took today and was still running without a problem well I parked it at a buddies house for a couple of hours and when I came back I started it put it in gear and tried to take off it died! I haven't killed my truck in a long time haha I started it again and it took a minute to get going but I revved it up a little probably to about 1500 rpms then let out and it just died. I don't know what to do and to top it off the battery gauge started flickering when I was driving and everytime it dies the light comes and stays on. I've replaced the voltage regulator what does these problems sound like?

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a parking brake hooked up I just rev it at a dead stop and it will die when the rpms come back down

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Try it again, then take off the fuel filter right after it dies, see if it is full of fuel. Does it act like this on both tanks?

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen after a wvo/gas blend experiment. I left some inside the system and the ip/injectors didn't like that. I had to change the filter and do a couple atf soaks for a day at a time and it now acts like before.

I would rev the engine and let off the pedal and it would die like whatever controlled the idle didn't work.

So maybe that is worth a try? Fill up a new filter with atf, run engine for a minute, then let sit for a day and revisit.

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check the filter after work I can't really afford to park it for a day as it is my only vehicle haha if it's half full then the lift pump is bad isn't it? Even if it is or isn't half full it's probably time for a new filter I believe so it will get the ATF treatment next time I do this but what is something that could cause a flickering battery light?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the filter is half full it is most likely the filter. btw how much fuel do you have

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
if the filter is only half full it is prob the pump but what you are describing sounds more like a metering valve issue to me. when the truck dies does it bog down and die or does it kind of rev up and run rough until it dies.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^^^ very common.

Also I have been running a bio blend and some b99 and my oring went bad on the water sensor on the bottom bowl and was sucking/draining air/fuel and acting up

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rev it up some it will go up then when it comes back down it just dies sounds to me like it's running out of fuel which makes me think filter but as long as I don't rev it it will idle some

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I would stick a heavy treatment of fuel cleaner in it and raise the rpm just a little once you verify that you are getting plenty of fuel. then run a couple tanks with this heavy treatment and try to drop the idle back down.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put a new filter on and no luck any other things to try?

You still didn't try the atf soak :)

It doesn't happen right away as you run it, you need to leave it inside the pump so it can sit on all the parts and injectors to loosen the crap up. Do what you can to get the max soak time if you have to drive it every day and try a couple cycles of it.

I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself. I have done that with a couple knocking injectors twice before as well and those nasty knocks didn't come back.

I also was stupid and did that same veggie mix I talked about in my jetta and had to scramble to do the same thing with the atf because I couldn't even get it started under its own power a few days after I experimented. It also ran like crap after I did get it started so I did a couple cycles of a day each, then ran a new filter and both vehicles have been driving since like nothing happened.

You could have other problems but I would still try it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online