Problem with injection pump on 6.9

gandalf

Reaction score

Also, a picture of this side of the injection pump would be very very useful. every picture i can find is of the passenger side of the pump. this job does not seem like much fun in a van chasis

Sorry to be so late. I just got home from work.

I have a picture of my IP after it was rebuilt by Russ, Typ4. I'll attach it at the end of the post.

It looks like you broke the upper part of that arm which activates the plunger. Since that arm is mounted on, pivots on, a shaft, you should be able to replace the arm without too much trouble. Getting the plunger to move might be a tad bit more difficult. You didn't pull on it with pliers, did you, and scar the surface? That would not be a good thing.

Anyway, I hope the picture helps, even though it's a bit late.

Attachments

• DSCF7665.JPG
    DSCF7665.JPG
    802.4 KB · Views: 13

hazardc

Reaction score
That picture helps a LOT

It turns out the plunger was never sticking, it's always just been the rollpin on the arm itself and the top half of the arm broke off when i got a little too aggressive with it (idiot mistake) I still can't get the lever unstuck on it... i think it just needs removed and lubed up real well.

so now i need a new arm. I'm not used to working with a van chasis at all, so i'm hoping i'll have some decent access to what i'm working with from inside the RV, because to be honest it's really a pain in the a to get to from under the hood itself and probably a major reason why i ended up breaking it in the first place.

With a new arm on there I think this pump will serve me well for at least a decent amount more miles. There was a little bit of unwanted crap in the filter, but nothing excessive.

I'm hoping zrex reads this thread and turns on his *** so i can get that arm off of him. Cautiously optimistic at this point!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That arm is the low speed timing advance lever. Without it, your truck will run like crap at less than road speeds. If your advance piston is stuck, your timing will be frozen in place. Really, it's time to stop messing around and get yourself another pump. The time and expense to replace that lever will not bring it up to ***** 100%, as there is a calibration setting in the base of it that needs to be set up correctly and each arm/setting is different.

hazardc

Reaction score
I know this thread has become a lot to read, but the advance piston is not stuck one bit. I figured that out once the arm broke. It's simply frozen up on the roll pin. i can run the truck right now with the arm broken and it idles, revs some, and returns to idle just fine.

I'm gonna try messing with it more. I do know a new pump is in my future, but finances need to go to other things at the moment to get this rig on the road at all, and id rather save more coin for a NEW pump rather than buy a used one, since this one seems to function great except for that roll pin being stuck

hazardc

Reaction score
what would be the adverse effects of driving this to a friends barn where i could work on it "not outside" ?

It starts, idles, and revs just fine. I haven't tried moving it in the yard at all, but since the lever is no longer moving the piston in when the throttle is depressed, what effects will this have, and could they damage the engine? I know this is probably a noob question, but I'm having trouble figuring this specific stuff out even through scouring the forum as much as possible for information.

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got home from work, sent you an email from my home email.its waiting for you;Sweet

Attachments

• DSCN1233.jpg
    DSCN1233.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 6

hazardc

Reaction score
and 3 days later it has finished it's voyage across the country, from california to ohio

You must be registered for see images

Thank you so much! I have never been on a forum where such generosity has been shown to such a new member who has contributed nothing but questions.

Now that I'm not tinkering with turbo 4 cylinder rice rockets all the time, I'm sure I'll be spending a lot more time playing with this thing. I'm starting to catch the alternative fuel bug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726