Problem with injection pump on 6.9

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees... The engine sounds great when its running in the second video. When you have to use the screwdriver are you prying out on the lever or the plunger. I'm thinking maybe the plunger is ok but the lever arm gets stuck and holds the plunger in.... Sure runs nice...:sly

hazardc

Reaction score
Could it be the lever arm being stuck? how would i go about unsticking this thing? On my other 6.9 it seems to flop around freely and isn't even really connected to the piston

Should i just shoot it with some pb blaster and give it a little wack to try to free it up a bit? i'm kinda curious now... Yeah, it runs great even witht the old fuel when that thing isn't getting stuck

hazardc

Reaction score
I'm prying on the arm by the way, and when i pry out on the arm the plunger comes out with it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking rig you have there. Does not look its age!!!! I hope you can get it running correctly without having to install a pump.

Also, off topic, Nice Lo-Boy!!!!!!!

Last edited:

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
try spraying some pb blaster on the rod in the center that holds the lever to the pump and wiggle it to loosen it up a little

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... That lever has a roll pin that keeps it in place on the pump... Some PB Blaster or Kroil will loosen it up... Just spray it and exercise it... Then when its free just some oil and your all set....:thumbsup:

hazardc

Reaction score
Well, things got a little more F'd up.

I don't know if this was just a result of my impatience or whatever, but what's done is done.

The plunger no longer moves in or out when the throttle is moved. it just sticks in whichever position it's in, plus i found this broken off piece of aluminum that l assume goes to some part of the pump. The plunger actually extended so far out at one time that fuel was coming out around it.

i have a couple pictures that I will attach in a minute

hazardc

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of what happened. I was trying to work that lever back and forth after htiting it with some penetrating oil, i felt something break loose

That piece of metal sitting on top of the radiator is what i found laying in the area. I'm assuming my lack of patience and being overzealous has just turned into an expensive lesson.

I can get better pics if necessary. Anyone know for sure if i just basically ruined this pump? I was going to start looking for a junkyard unit. I'm kind of angry at myself right now knowing that this pump was in good working order and just needed a little love.

Attachments

• IMG_20110321_182417.jpg
    IMG_20110321_182417.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20110321_182427.jpg
    IMG_20110321_182427.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 18

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats too bad. I don't know what that ear is, but it probably had a purpose.:dunno

Problem with these pumps is that they're around a 100k mile replacement item. Junkyard pumps are likely to be near the end of their lives, if not dead, especially if they've been sitting and rusting for a while. I went the used pump route when I did mine, ended up putting two pumps on it. The first pump was a good runner when pulled, and it didn't run worth anything when it got onto my truck... died at every clutch push, ran terrible, low power, smoke etc. The next pump was also a supposed runner I got from someone else and I couldn't even get it to pump fuel to the injectors. Once I spent the $440 its been running great since. On a van I would rather not go through the pain of doing an IP twice.

Its your RV and you're welcome to attack the problem any way you see fit, I'm just trying to save you some pain and time. It does look to be a cool old RV though, and when its running right it sounds real good. Hope you get it figured out,.;Sweet

hazardc

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the side of the injection pump that all this stuff is on? i can't seem to locate one. I have no idea how these things work, but i'm assuming the part that broke off is what's on the top half of the roll pin, since the lever no longer pushes in under acceleration. I'm hoping there's some way i can still salvage this unit.

Any help is appreciated. i'm just dousing the lever in pb blaster and calling it a night.

hazardc

Reaction score
I could really use some help on if anyone can tell me whether that broken piece is part of the arm and whether i can just replace this arm with another arm or if i'm going to be stuck buying a new pump.

Also, a picture of this side of the injection pump would be very very useful. every picture i can find is of the passenger side of the pump. this job does not seem like much fun in a van chasis

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a parts pump I can rob that arm off and mail to you if you want it for free. I live in CA. Just hit me with an address

hazardc

Reaction score
Finally found a picture to verify what broke (see attachment)

I really appreciate the offer to send the arm! I'll send you my address and even paypal you a few bucks for the hassle if you have paypal. I can't wait to have this truck moving on the road again. I'm not sure what the top part of the arm connects to (if anything?) or if i'll be able to swap the arm out with the IP still in the vehicle. I'll pm you my address Many many thanks man.

next up, brakes :mad:

In hindsight i wish i woulda just took this one off and lubed it up really well before going for gusto, but hindsight is hindsight for a reason.

Everyone on this forum has been a great help so far, and I'm learning a lot not just from this thread but all the great articles and answers on other posts.

Attachments

• IMG_20110322_013600.jpg
    IMG_20110322_013600.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 12

hazardc

Reaction score
Zrexryder, you don't have private messages turned on in your options. I think this forum requires you to manually turn them on.. would you like me to contact you another way or turn on pm's?

hazardc

Reaction score
alternatively you could just email me at hazardc at gmail dot com