pre and post turbo dyno numbers

FordGuy100

Reaction score
well, just got back from fall brawl. was at the spring fling with the ford and she made a wopping 123 hp and 254 ftlbs. that was before the turbo. since then i added a stock 7.3 turbo setup with crushed down pipe, hypermax cowl kit, and turned pump up 2 flats with plugged wastegate. today she made 161 hp, 320 ftlbs.

surprised a few people.

A conservative 20% drivetrain loss (most estimate between 20-30%) would net at the crank:

193.2hp
384 Ft. lbs tq

At 25% drivtrain loss:

201.25hp
400 Ft. lbs tq

30% drivetrain loss:

209.3hp
416 Ft. lbs tq

I would guess the 20%, so at the crank you made around 190hp and 380ft lbs. Not bad at all. Couple more turns of the pump should put you in the 200hp and 400 ft lbs at the crank range.

Stock OBS PSD was rated for 215hp (early models I believe) and 425 Ft lbs tq at the crank from the factory.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my wastegate is plugged. timing is set at 8.5. this is the best running idi i ever had. fired right up every time and pulls great.

which really sucks because it is now leaking. guess she didnt like being beat on that hard. external coolant leak from back of right bank. owell. got the spare motor i bought coming soon.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Is weird for Me. I drove My 85 NA for 3 years. It seemed just fine. I'd definitely compare it to a 460 when loaded.

Then I bought My 93 w/Banks. It doesn't seem to have 50 more ponies than My 85.

Maybe My 85 is just that good? I always ran it with 8.5 degrees, and stock pump settings.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to be ashamed of there. That is a respectable gain in power and drivability. Get a different downpipe and you'll enjoy some more UMPH from that IDI. Can't wait to see that rig at the Rally in July.:D

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which really sucks because it is now leaking. guess she didnt like being beat on that hard. external coolant leak from back of right bank.....

Which is EXACTLY why I don't dyno the Moose Truck. That's the virtually guaranteed results with stock head bolts in my opionion.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
i knew it was gona happen sooner or later mel, it isnt like i am easy on the truck. i can deal with an external leak for now till the new motor gets freshened up some. it was seeping before the run, guess that just pushed it the little bit more it needed. not a spraying leak just a slow trickle.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i knew it was gona happen sooner or later mel, it isnt like i am easy on the truck. i can deal with an external leak for now till the new motor gets freshened up some. it was seeping before the run, guess that just pushed it the little bit more it needed. not a spraying leak just a slow trickle.

I still peg 15 psi daily and havent had a problem with the stock bolts

tractorman86

Reaction score
No disrespect Justin but if you take the percentage of the horse power gain(23.6%) and apply that to the factory ratings he should be making 216.3 @the crank

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I still dont get it. ATS and Hypermax both say 50% increase. And the drive train loss' are 15% IIRC. But every drive train is differnt, (auto, stick, crwcab, supecab, reg cab)

So take a stock 6.9 (170HP)and on the dyno RWHP "should" be 136HP
Now add a turbo at 50%(255HP at the crank) RWHP "should" be 204HP

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No disrespect Justin but if you take the percentage of the horse power gain(23.6%) and apply that to the factory ratings he should be making 216.3 @the crank

All the factory ratings are based at the crank...so a stock Turbo IDI motor rated at 190hp would make roughly 145hp at the wheels.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
drivetrain losses are also goin to be bigger since he has the tires and what not on there. as long as all of that was on there when he dynoed first time then i would think you could compare the two numbers equally but if its been changed to bigger then he actually gained a little more than what the dyno is tellin

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
tire size, gears, all the same from first dyno run. only difference was wheelbase. highly douby that will alter my output.

i made sure i left the 36's on since that is what i was running in the spring. also still have the 3.55 gears.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
A conservative 20% drivetrain loss (most estimate between 20-30%) would net at the crank:

193.2hp
384 Ft. lbs tq

At 25% drivtrain loss:

201.25hp
400 Ft. lbs tq

30% drivetrain loss:

209.3hp
416 Ft. lbs tq

I would guess the 20%, so at the crank you made around 190hp and 380ft lbs. Not bad at all. Couple more turns of the pump should put you in the 200hp and 400 ft lbs at the crank range.

Stock OBS PSD was rated for 215hp (early models I believe) and 425 Ft lbs tq at the crank from the factory.

Justin for future reference you can't take the RWHP and times it by 20% to get the motor HP. I'll try and explain it but 20% is the drive train loss and 161 is the result of the drivetrain loss from the engine HP so to figure you take engine HP x20% then subtract that amount from engine HP and that will give you RWHP Follow me?;Sweet So if you take your answer of 190 HP x 20% = 38HP loss. 190-38 =152 RWHP which is not what he ended up with. So you have to use what you know which is taht after you subtract the 20% you end up with 80% of the power left so take 161RWHP and divide by .8 and you get 201.25 HP at the crank:thumbsup: so 25% loss would be 214.67 and 30% would be 230HP:thumbsup: hope that helps ;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score

The only problem is you can't do that cause you don't know if his motor is making the factory rated HP

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You could try some of that "bars leaks" stuff. I've heard at least one report that it stopped the leak. You might need to flog it again once you have that stuff circulating, to get that particles into the gap,then when the head sits back down it will seal it. :dunno Wonder if your current gasket has the coolant passage insert or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online