pre and post turbo dyno numbers

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
well, just got back from fall brawl. was at the spring fling with the ford and she made a wopping 123 hp and 254 ftlbs. that was before the turbo. since then i added a stock 7.3 turbo setup with crushed down pipe, hypermax cowl kit, and turned pump up 2 flats with plugged wastegate. today she made 161 hp, 320 ftlbs.

surprised a few people.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
38 hp/66 ft lb increase.and thats with the bad down pipe.
pretty dang impressive bolt on part.
when ya wanna sell it,let me know k.:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Really? That is it? What do other makes of turbos put out?.

It would seem that a $1800 turbo kit would put more than 40HP. I am confused

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
He used the STOCK Ford idi turbo setup. With the terrible downpipe and different turbo, thats respectable considering the 7.3 IDI with the turbo installed from the factory was only rated for a 5 HP gain and torque gains were also minimal.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? That is it? What do other makes of turbos put out?.

It would seem that a $1800 turbo kit would put more than 40HP. I am confused

your not putting things into perspective correctly.
remember where talking idi engines here.

going from 132 hp to 161hp is a 22% increase in power!
so,if he were to add a good down pipe,which likely adds another 5-10 ponies,making the turbo add 50hp over n/a roughly.your looking close enough to call a 25-30% or a 1/4+ increase in hp over n/a!
thats also a 1/4 (25%) increase in torque(the main focus of a diesel engine anyway to get the load moving) as is,with the crushed down pipe!
no doubt your gunna notice that when hooked up to somthing.

looking at things this way,you can see thats really quite a bit more power over n/a.

when your starting with low hp #'s adding every 1hp more is a much larger jump than adding a hp or two to the modern powerstroke.have to keep things in perspective.
it's impressive.im sure you can feel that in the seat of the pants all easy.:sly

if you just look at 38 hp/66 ft lb increase,without stopping to think how much more in percentage,it's going to look bad.:D
(though not really to me it doesn't.that's a crap load more pulling power right there.he'll know it when hooks up to something lol.)

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
He used the STOCK Ford idi turbo setup. With the terrible downpipe and different turbo, thats respectable considering the 7.3 IDI with the turbo installed from the factory was only rated for a 5 HP gain and torque gains were also minimal.

Thats because ford was stupid, all you have to do is get a better downpipe cols air intake max the pump and unplug the wastegate and the factory turbo system is great, you get almost instant boost, when it comes on it pins you into the seat,

right now i cant get past 15psi cause i just absolutley run out of fuel, once my boost goes over 8psi i have absolutley no smoke and it makes 15psi smoke free

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats because ford was stupid, all you have to do is get a better downpipe cols air intake max the pump and unplug the wastegate and the factory turbo system is great, you get almost instant boost, when it comes on it pins you into the seat,

right now i cant get past 15psi cause i just absolutley run out of fuel, once my boost goes over 8psi i have absolutley no smoke and it makes 15psi smoke free

actually,that was because ford was smart.
if you introduced a turbo onto an engine,and 1 yr latter came out with a new engine,wouldn't you want to down play the rating on the old engine,so the new engine looked more powerful?
ok.i wouldn't have,cus im too honest.but it was done for marketing.
i doubt anyone at the time actually thought the turbo only provided 5-10 extra hp though lol.although i do see how gullible to new 6.7l/2011 buyers are,so it wouldn't surprise me.

however don't forget the aftermarkets marketing of the 50% increases to sell their turbos too.:D
sucks we live in a world of dishonest people,and false claims but that's the bs we all have to weed through.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i only see 11 psi max outa my setup, and smoke never goes away totally. i only turned up 2 flats on the pump. next step is the downpipe. then i will be done for adding stuff. need to put money towards other parts(locker, tires)

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i only see 11 psi max outa my setup, and smoke never goes away totally. i only turned up 2 flats on the pump. next step is the downpipe. then i will be done for adding stuff. need to put money towards other parts(locker, tires)

Unplug the wastegate, if you aint already, i could make 13 psi with the crushed pipe, and 15 with the one now, like i said no smoke past 8 psi

Black dawg

Reaction score
that downpipe will support alot more flow than that. the numbers arent bad, but turning the pump up will gain much more power. I Wonder why your smoke never clears up? whats your timing set at?

Reaction score
I have similar results with my truck. People shouldent get confused here about adding a turbo....It literally feels like your driving a new truck....one that can get out of its own way!

Much more power, much more fun to drive. Also dont forget those numbers are at the wheel...you really lose a ton of HP. through the drivetrain...transfer case and large tires.

I disconnected my wastegate and wired the flapper closed. my pump is maxed and it will clean up and does not smoke much if at all at WOT once the turbo spools. I still have the stock junk downpipe and stock intake to the turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online