power steering return hose

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone give me any pointers on how they get this hose back on the power steering line. I have tried PB Blaster Vaseline and a number of other things cannot get this thing to go past about an eighth of an inch below the nipple on the brass power steering line. Thanks in advance
You must be registered for see images attach

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the outside of the tube is de-burred and free of rust/scale. Pull from below ibstead of pushing from above.

May also be a good idea to nip a bit off the end of the rubber hose, might be torn up internally.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I been trying to pull it from the bottom. You think pull off what I have on there so far I'm afraid to break my metal power steering lines if I pull to much. The top seemed to go on better when I set the hose by the torpedo heater for a minute. Just dread pulling all of it off again!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if indeed it is the return line,
and it wont go on,
i would replace the entire return line.
its screwed internally.
by the looks of it, i would not attempt to run that hose, just get a new one.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on the way home and my steering was real tight pulled over and saw the return line was broke so I got new hose and tried to put it on and man its tight!

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my own experience; is the piece of hose long enough? I was trying to replace a piece of factory hose with a cut to exact length and could not get enough leverage to push it on. A friend took one look and told me it was too short. I bought another piece a couple of inches longer and what do you know, it slid right up. Sometime you just try too hard to make something work and just can't see the obvious.

OR

You might want try an warm up the hose with a microwaved cloth, or heat up a tapered punch an use it to expand the opening enough to slide over the fitting - an old timer taught me that one while changing out hoses in the cold. Also, make sure the metal tube is clean and the opening burr/distortion free before you try again.

Also, make sure there is no rust/corrosion present. With all of the chemicals their putting on the roads, it seems as if corrosion is everywhere.

I know this sounds simple, but been there, done it, and learned from it.

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you got the right size hose. Many of these low pressure hoses are sized by 1/16s of an inch, and the difference between 5/16" and 3/8" hose is the difference between easy installation and never getting it over the tube. Have you measured the od of the tubing with a cheap set of calipers yet?

Heating the hose will help, but make sure you have the right hose to start with.

Good luck

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I did cut it a few inches longer. I was thinking about heating it up with the torpedo heater to give it a try. It is 3/8 I'm sure 7/16 would be to big and no one here has 13/32 I think I might try to heat it up. I'll keep you guys posted!!

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you got the right size hose. Many of these low pressure hoses are sized by 1/16s of an inch, and the difference between 5/16" and 3/8" hose is the difference between easy installation and never getting it over the tube. Have you measured the od of the tubing with a cheap set of calipers yet?

Heating the hose will help, but make sure you have the right hose to start with.

Good luck

Good point.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the old hose off and took it in to the parts store they looked it up to be sure and it said it was 3 8s went back to see if they had something else they said 11 32nds would be next in line but none in stock not sure if I should try that or keep messing with this hose that I have heating it up and everything but I'm sure you guys can tell that it is pretty darn tight on there

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the old hose off and took it in to the parts store they looked it up to be sure and it said it was 3 8s went back to see if they had something else they said 11 32nds would be next in line but none in stock not sure if I should try that or keep messing with this hose that I have heating it up and everything but I'm sure you guys can tell that it is pretty darn tight on there

Did you try using a heated tapered punch (center punch) to open it up a little?

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got it on enough To get the clamp on it I'm going to keep an eye on it it wasn't even wanting to come off when I tried to take it back off I guess time will tell. Thank you guys