Power steering pump

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I just bought a Redhead pump and noticed my power steering pump is also leaking. It works fine, but seems like it is just ******* oil all over the place. I've read a few threads and it seems like most of the time the issue is the seal on the high pressure line fitting. I'm really not sure what it is, but I'd like to just put a new pump and a new line in with my new gearbox. Are there any recommendations for brands on pump rebuilds that are better than others?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the time and if you can find the parts, go with a van Saginaw set up. I put one on mine because the donor engine was from a van. Least I can say is i am impressed. Smooth steering at any rpm and no whine (as if you could hear it over the engine anyway)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Redhead pump and noticed my power steering pump is also leaking. It works fine, but seems like it is just ******* oil all over the place. I've read a few threads and it seems like most of the time the issue is the seal on the high pressure line fitting. I'm really not sure what it is, but I'd like to just put a new pump and a new line in with my new gearbox. Are there any recommendations for brands on pump rebuilds that are better than others?

I am going out on a limb here ....guessing you mean a Red Head Steering gear box...NOT a pump....

Sure a saginaw is great from a van...find one for serpentine...aint happening.

Try a decent PSC pump.since in for penny already with red head box...or contact them (Red Head) for THEIR recomendations for a direct fit pump.

Seriously there is no need for a saginaw unless going hydrboost and hydroassist steering...

In all likelyhood it could be the teflon seal not easy to replace but doable.

If doing teflon seal...do pump reservior O ring too. Do it all at one time or twice your choice.

JM2CW

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Ya I meant pump. I've been all over the place today buying stuff for my truck. I'm not really in the mood to deal with a Saginaw pump and I did ask red head about them and they said they really only deal with the gears.

I'm not sure if I really want to spend the additional downtime with rebuilding a pump either.

I'll look into the psc pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle