Power steering problem

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I am getting closer to having my truck completely ready for long road trips. Its been sitting a lot lately. This winter I did a hydroboost swap with a used hydro unit that seems to be working great. I put brand new hoses on and a rebuilt cardone ps pump from oreillys so I would have the two return ports. I know the pump was working at first but awhile back it threw the belt and fluid squirted up out of the pump cap. The belt is new, the alternator is new, the only reason I can think of for it throwing the belt is the pump messing up.

Today I got it all topped off with fluid and did some unrelated stuff to the truck. I could tell right off something didn't seem right with the steering and the brakes. I had no power brakes and no power steering. Parked I can turn the wheel slightly and then it starts squeeling the belt and its manual steering. Moving I can steer it. I am thinking the new pump is shot but would putting a rebuilt hydroboost unit on change anything? I didn't know if something could be restricting the flow in and out on that? I dunno but I think I need a new pump. I was going to call Oreillys and find out if they will stand behind it because I can't tell I did anything to mess it up. Thought I would ask you guys what you thought first.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I would mention when it threw the belt the fluid squirting out the cap I am talking about is from driving it back up the driveway with no belt. Not like it was just blowing up out of the cap.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called them and they said its a lifetime warranty just bring it in. So I guess I will find out tomorrow if thats the problem or not. I hope this isn't something that continues to go out though because I had a rebuilt one that had sat around for a few years on a parts truck on my truck before this and it would lock up when turned by hand backwards and it seemed if the truck was running rough it would squeek the belt. I am tempted to put a rebuilt hydro unit on since its only 140 at oreillys but if its not broke why fix it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Form what I have been told these power steering pumps are the same. Just the resivour is differant for the hydroboost brakes so.... You could just remove the resivour from the suspect rebuilt pump and install it on your oem pump... If you still have it.... Using a known good part tells you whats working or not working... That price on the rebuilt hydroboost pump is a good price too but not something I would change just yet...

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the pump itself is the same but I used my junk rebuilt ps pump as a core to get a rebuilt one with the dual return reservoir. I didn't see a point in putting a new reservoir on a pump that was already messed up. I really wish sometimes I had the money to buy motorcraft parts, I think it would save a lot of grief. But this pump was like 64 and has a lifetime warranty so I hope that doesn't mean I have to put a new pump on all the time! It seemed to be working fine until I had air in the fuel filter about a month ago, it was cold out I had the fuel filter off for about a week so plenty of air. I filled the filter up and cranked for awhile, then charged, then cranked. I did that for awhile and didn't want to put a strain on my new starter. I had my dad pull my truck with his well it fired up.

He thought he would be funny since it was snowy out and keep pulling me. His truck is just a gas reg. cab I locked up my brakes to try to stop his but he kept dragging me. It was right at that time when I had pushed down ******* the brakes that I started hearing noise from the pump. I don't understand how this could have damaged the pump unless it was just crappy to begin with. It was working pretty good until that point.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Power steering

Tom; hook the old hose from the pump to the steering box back up , mabe the hydro boost blocked the oil flow when you jamed the brakes:dunnoED

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from those Gates belts. Hope you did not have one of those on because Gates belts and a diesel engine don't mix. Go with Dayco belts.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I have on, probably not the best belt but I don't think that is the problem at hand right now.

Thats not a bad idea on checking to see if its the hydro unit or the pump. Oreillys said bring the pump in and switch it out so I think I am going to try that first and if its the same I will assume that I just need to replace the hydro unit. I am thinking the oil flow isn't blocked off after thinkng about it some more. When it was low on fluid if I pushed the brake pedal I could hear the pump whine.

Sometimes I miss my full hydraulic steering I built years ago. I could turn 44" tires with a finger go down the road and it felt like rack and pinion and if the engine died you still had manual steering. Even with all that at some level I think the factory setup is probably safer and more reliable.

I should find out tomorrow if its the pump or not. Once I fix this deal about the only other problem I have is the driveshaft I put in the carrier bearing hangs too low so it has a slight vibration so I need to address that next. I am about ready to put a good chunk of miles on this old girl.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.....yesterday I replaced the ps pump again. Nothing changed. I ordered the hydroboost from autozone it was 120.99 with a 57.00 core. I took my core off this morning and kept my pushrod and headed over switched them out. Got home and realized there is a spring retainer in there also so I had to head back over its like 50 miles at least one way so a lot of driving today. It started raining and I got it installed real quick topped off the ps fluid. Same thing!

Dang talk about frustrated. I just threw a bunch of unnecessary money at my truck. The new hydro unit might be in better shape though and I will have a warranty I guess. Idling I can hear the belt squeeking now so its like the new hydro puts more of a load on the pump. I try to turn sitting still or put on the brakes and it squeeks like crazy. I suppose the only other thing it could be is the belt? I wish I would have listened to you compu doc!

I just couldn't believe a brand new belt is shot already. So where do you get your dayco belt or whatever anyone feels is the best? Anyone have a part number for a serpentine system with air conditioning? I have never had good luck with belts on these idi engines.

I thought about taking the belt in for warranty but I just want to put on a good part and be done. Getting sick of parts swapping.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.....yesterday I replaced the ps pump again. Nothing changed. I ordered the hydroboost from autozone it was 120.99 with a 57.00 core. I took my core off this morning and kept my pushrod and headed over switched them out. Got home and realized there is a spring retainer in there also so I had to head back over its like 50 miles at least one way so a lot of driving today. It started raining and I got it installed real quick topped off the ps fluid. Same thing!

Dang talk about frustrated. I just threw a bunch of unnecessary money at my truck. The new hydro unit might be in better shape though and I will have a warranty I guess. Idling I can hear the belt squeeking now so its like the new hydro puts more of a load on the pump. I try to turn sitting still or put on the brakes and it squeeks like crazy. I suppose the only other thing it could be is the belt? I wish I would have listened to you compu doc!

I just couldn't believe a brand new belt is shot already. So where do you get your dayco belt or whatever anyone feels is the best? Anyone have a part number for a serpentine system with air conditioning? I have never had good luck with belts on these idi engines.

I thought about taking the belt in for warranty but I just want to put on a good part and be done. Getting sick of parts swapping.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I think I have a master pro belt which is even cheaper than gates through oreillys! I guess its crazy to buy a cheap belt and expect to get a few months of use out of it.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wondering if it could be the tensioner but don't know how to tell if its bad or not. It seems to have good tension but who knows.

sassyrel

Reaction score

i have already put brand new gates,,and dayco belts on--and the sob's squealed--replaced with another--end of problem....know why??? its like the diff,,between the rubber compound on a racing slick,,and a street tire---soemtimes--teh rubber on the belt--is qa mite tooo hard--and dont grab--but slowly slips,,hence the squeal---

sassyrel

Reaction score

i have already put brand new gates,,and dayco belts on--and the sob's squealed--replaced with another--end of problem....know why??? its like the diff,,between the rubber compound on a racing slick,,and a street tire---sometimes--the rubber on the belt--is a mite tooo hard--and dont grab--but slowly slips,,hence the squeal---

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What fluid are you using? Ford calls for Type F or Fa ATF
On my hydroboost swap I used the old P/S pump but bought a new F-SUPERDUTY reservoir from ford. One issue I had was the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the bracket stripped out and in the past I had the bolts just fall out due to metal fatigue of the pump's threads. It is probably not your problem since you have tried different pumps but remember- the aluminum is still 20 years old, cardon just replaced the seals and painted it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online