power boost

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
welp guys i took out and cleaned my gp's and still happening. so i then played with the timing and it seemed to affect it. and i beilive i got it in the sweet spot where the burst are at the least amount. but it still does it. and at this spot there is white smoke acompanied by black when i give it throttle. i belive this is in retarded position. any ideas?

i am too deep into this truck but i am honestly cosidering dumping it off at this ppint

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so hears an idead. when i time my truck i use two turnbuckles on either side to roatae the pump precisley(with motor off)

when the surging was real bad i tighted up both buckles with engine running and it semmed to get "better". no when i tighten bolts i uses a regular wrench on top and a four invh wrench on the bottomg to. i try to tighten the hell out of them but could my pump be moving slighty. just the slightes bit cuaseing a tempory change in timing?

and anyone have any tricks at getting to those pesky bottom bolts?

and i guess the only thing left i havent replaced is the lift pump.. worth a shot? are these symptoms of a bad lift pump?

Last edited:

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
welp replaced lift pump and still i have the f#$kin problem-cuss

there is no fixing this thing i guess lol:confused:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you pulled the valve covers and double check valve operation, this is where I'm still at. ⤵
Got another ip to try on it?

About the only thing left. I understand Mel's pump are top notch, but sometimes **** happens.
When you called back, who did you talk to?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like a junk pump, pretty much only one thing that will make the idle go up and down.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mark; if ya get to Lima again, I'll loan you a rebuilt pump to try, see if that corrects the problem. PM me.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
So from what im hearint it is definatly the pump?? Or maybe a valve issue?

And i contaced the boys at conestoga by email seeing as i have very little time to call the shop. I eplained and they do not belive it is the pump however if it is in question they will certainly work out a solution . Very good guys over there!

And would it be easier to pull valve covers or replace pump??

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably pull the covers cause you can do that now. If you dont find anything under there, then find a known good used pump to try.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Definitely pull the valve covers first.
And personally, I would call over email anyday. Just ask for Mel specifically.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread, but did you change the fuel filter? Also check fuel delivery pressure/lift pump. Also check for restriction in the return lines - probably easiest to just run a hose off the return valve on top of the pump to a bucket.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
yes i replaced fuel filter before pump instalation and new lift pump 2 days ago. i am gonna try another fuel gfilter tomorwo to see if maybe thats a dud one. but we will see thanks for all the replys

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also check for restriction in the return lines - probably easiest to just run a hose off the return valve on top of the pump to a bucket.
Can't do that, you would have no fuel supply to the injectors, but you can at the return line to tank, should be a tee close to #8.

Did you pull the valve covers yet? Drivers side is easy, pass side has to wiggle out. You could have a broken valve spring. That idle is a little high, normally 650-700, book says 800. Sounds good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.