possible to pull engine and trans todether F350 zf5 4x4

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I removed the front clip is there any problem with pulling the engine and trans together as one unit. I will use the front end loader on the tractor to remove it so I am not worried about the weight, just the feasibility. Any tips/tricks that you want to recommend are appreciated as well. I have to do a clutch job, oil cooler, and possibly had gaskets so I figured yanking the whole shebang would be easiest :)

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will work I've done it that way you need help guiding the trans just push the back of the trans down

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the front clip, drop the steering shaft, disconnect the brake master, and lift the cab high enough to slip 4x4 blocks between the cab and frame mount. that's how I do my engine/trans pulls under ideal conditions. only difference is you have a loader and I use a light wrecker.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an engine transplant leaving the ZF5 in place, with the entire front clip intact. I had my pick of big tractors with loaders so weight and lifting height weren't a concern. If I had it to do again, regardless of equipment, the front clip would come off, trans would drop whether it needed to come out or not, and then the engine. I think its easier and faster and less likely to break stuff (like the fingers of the pressure plate) that way. The engine and trans could come out together, but I don't really see the benefit as they'll have to be separated anyway to do the clutch, unless you don't have a transmission jack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online